• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do many wheat pennies have LBY on Lincolns chest?

40 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2023 at 2:04 PM, AmerigoC said:

educate my self from reliable sources

Refer to this topic for some of the "reliable sources" from which you might educate yourself:

Your grandfather may have left some valuable coins. This could especially have been true if he purchased them from coin dealers before the 1970s, as the values of many coins have increased greatly since that time, even when inflation is taken into account. However, a scratched, circulated 1955 Lincoln cent certainly isn't one of them. You can still cherish it as a keepsake. Without books and other resources such as those I and others on this forum have recommended, you won't be able to tell the difference. Take the time during your recuperation to learn about numismatics (coin collecting and study). You may find it as rewarding a pastime as did your grandfather.

You can also learn from participants of these forums, some of whom, like @RWB, are recognized and published numismatic scholars.  As for me, I've just been a collector and student of U.S. coins for 52 years. 

P.S. No offense intended, but the Lincoln cent designer's initials are "V.D.B.".  "VBDs" are a brand of underwear.  

On 2/19/2023 at 3:15 PM, Sandon said:

P.S. No offense intended, but the Lincoln cent designer's initials are "V.D.B.".  "VBDs" are a brand of underwear.  

You'll find Lincoln's BVDs UNDER his coat and shirt....not on his chest.

"V.D.B." are the designer's initials. They stand for "Victor David Brenner." His original reverse design had "BRENNER" at the bottom reverse. The Mint engraver shortened this to V.D.B., then the Sec of Treasury got over anxious when the Washington Star newspaper claimed - with no authority - that the initials were an advertisement.

(If you want all the details and photos look in my book Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915.)

Edited by RWB

On 2/18/2023 at 8:21 AM, AmerigoC said:

... it amazes me how it can vary what people say ...

People have been very consistent that your coin is a normal circulated 1955 Lincoln Cent, and it is not the very valuable 1955 DDO variety, minor anomalies aside.  The attached is a comparison of Lincoln's head for your coin vs the uncirculated 1955-S posted above, as well as some focus areas for that coin.  I would also go to the focus areas for that coin in the latest ANA Grading Standards, which I don't have in front of me now to quote.

1955 (P) Lincoln Cent Head Compare.jpg

Grading - 1955 Lincoln Cent Grading.jpg

On 2/19/2023 at 10:48 PM, Just Bob said:

Is this the area where you see initials?

coin1.jpg.1567bfd6dbb1fdeb6da2e32bfd53d0fc (2).jpg

No. Look to the left on the truncation of the bust -- between the field and his shoulder. They are often faint or indistinct. They were added in 1918.

On 2/20/2023 at 9:56 AM, RWB said:

No. Look to the left on the truncation of the bust -- between the field and his shoulder. They are often faint or indistinct. They were added in 1918.

I was referring to the OP's coin, and what he apparently thinks looks like letters to the left of the tail of the "9." I don't know a lot, but I do know where the designer's initials are (and are not) on Lincoln cents. ;)