• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A question about the order of lettering on the edge of same coins

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I just started to learn about collecting coins, and recently got some coins of CCCP. But I found that the words on the edge of same coins look different. I don't know if this is normal or I got counterfeits?

I checked the catalog, and I believe the engraved contents are correct, but the order is not same.

Like these two 50 kopeken in 1921. And these three commemorative coins of 1 rubel in 1975.

Also I want to ask: is ebay a good enough platform, if I'm just going to collect some circulating coins from the past?

Thanks in advance!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

On the 50 kopek, the lighter silver coin in your 2nd image seems to be upside down. Turn it over and compare again. Since the two are different issues, I'd expect different edge lettering.

Edited by RWB

On 2/17/2023 at 1:57 AM, RWB said:

On the 50 kopek, the lighter silver coin in your 2nd image seems to be upside down. Turn it over and compare again. Since the two are different issues, I'd expect different edge lettering.

Sorry I forgot to mention this, you are right: some coins have sides that are clearly upside down from others, like these two 50 kopek. The 1 ruble coins are in different ordersIMG_20230217_021500.thumb.jpg.f5012b1b905a416adcb562e24608a736.jpg.

IMG_20230217_021513.jpg

IMG_20230217_021622.jpg

IMG_20230217_021631.jpg

IMG_20230217_021644.jpg

On 2/16/2023 at 8:25 PM, Greenstang said:

The edge lettering is randomly put on by a different machine so the lettering could be in different positions and orientation.

Yes, this.

Ebay is not bad for acquiring CCCP pieces, actually there is some really good stuff on the Bay, especially post '91 (former Repubics), but you need to study up! Not a lot of counterfeits to worry about for post WWII stuff from the CCCP.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:25 AM, Greenstang said:

The edge lettering is randomly put on by a different machine so the lettering could be in different positions and orientation.

I understand, thank you very much

On 2/17/2023 at 3:01 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Yes, this.

Ebay is not bad for acquiring CCCP pieces, actually there is some really good stuff on the Bay, especially post '91 (former Repubics), but you need to study up! Not a lot of counterfeits to worry about for post WWII stuff from the CCCP.

Thank you for your detailed answer!

The 1 ruble commemoratives of the later years of the Soviet Union are a fun, somewhat challenging, but not terribly expensive set. The search is the fun.