• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

die axis problem Athens Tet

2 posts in this topic

I am considering purchasing an NGC slabbed Athens Tetradrachm with an irregular die axis rotation . How rigorous is the authentication process and can I be confident in it's authenticity?  Should this affect it's value should I ever need to resell it?

Thanks

Dave

• Administrator

Hello @David Cannon

Thank you for reaching out to us. NGC Ancients is committed to grading only genuine coins, but it does not guarantee authenticity, genuineness or attribution, nor is any guarantee of these aspects implied. NGC Ancients will only holder coins it considers genuine at the time of submission, but it cannot guarantee the authenticity, genuineness, type, attribution or date of any coin it holders. Unlike modern coins, which often benefit from well-documented, scientific parameters for the verification of authenticity, there rarely is conclusive data for ancient coins, and generally there is no surviving documentation to verify production characteristics.

While I cannot share specifics of the proprietary processes NGC Ancients used to authenticate and grade coins, I can assure you that NGC will not grade and encapsulate a coin when, in the opinion of the NGC Ancients grading team, the coin's authenticity is in question. You can read more about NGC Ancients grading and the NGC Ancients Guarantee at these links: 

Ancient Coin Grading Service | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Guarantee for Ancient Coin Grading | NGC (ngccoin.com)

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Have a good day.