• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver 2005 Quarter Found

37 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2023 at 9:15 AM, EagleRJO said:

So the mint does produce the blanks for quarters. 

Yes, for CIRCULATING quarters. All silver are “numismatic items” and are bought from a vendor. 

Notice also, that the coils have legs and feet, as shown in EagleRJO's photo, above. By attaching legs and feet to the large coils, the Mint is able to move them faster and guide them more accurately than by using hoists, fork lifts, and other means. When small but very precise movements are required, the coils are placed on a quantity of trained ants who respond to verbal commands.  ;)

On 2/21/2023 at 9:41 AM, RWB said:

Notice also, that the coils have legs and feet, as shown in EagleRJO's photo, above. By attaching legs and feet to the large coils, the Mint is able to move them faster and guide them more accurately than by using hoists, fork lifts, and other means. When small but very precise movements are required, the coils are placed on a quantity of trained ants who respond to verbal commands.  ;)

If one takes the “tour” at the Philadelphia Mint, self-guided and over the top of the production floor, at the “far end”, the north end of the walkway, there is a coil of copper/nickel sandwich made to the half dollar specification of coins. Obviously, the quarter and dime specs are thinner. I do not know, up to date, whether the 5-cent stock is made or purchased. The last time I was there, it was being made in-house, but the Mint was working with Carpenter Technologies of Reading, PA on a proposed new stainless steel alloy for “nickels” (boy are THEY gonna need a new name!) and buying whichever from a vendor was under discussion. By the way, at the south end, there are gaps in the plexiglass directly over the conveyor for cent blanks, where it is eminently possible to drop whatever into the cent production line, even a carpenter’s nail (hint, hint). Other production runs directly under the walkway as well. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/21/2023 at 11:39 AM, VKurtB said:

If one takes the “tour” at the Philadelphia Mint, self-guided and over the top of the production floor, at the “far end”, the north end of the walkway, there is a coil of copper/nickel sandwich made to the half dollar specification of coins. Obviously, the quarter and dime specs are thinner. I do not know, up to date, whether the 5-cent stock is made or purchased. The last time I was there, it was being made in-house, but the Mint was working with Carpenter Technologies of Reading, PA on a proposed new stainless steel alloy for “nickels” (boy are THEY gonna need a new name!) and buying whichever from a vendor was under discussion. By the way, at the south end, there are gaps in the plexiglass directly over the conveyor for cent blanks, where it is eminently possible to drop whatever into the cent production line, even a carpenter’s nail (hint, hint). Other production runs directly under the walkway as well. 

Ive always wondered how that nail went through the machine only getting struck 1 time. As fast as those dies are stricking youd think it would be struck more than once. Or how the head didnt get hung up in the feeder and jam it up. Ive always been a little skeptical about it ever since I saw it. It may be legit but it will always be in the back of my mind. 

I sold bearings and seals to a company in Ohio that built some of the presses used at various locations of the mint. When machines were completed they had test runs before shipping. Everything was guarded like Fort Knox during testing! The whole process and volume rates were amazing to say the least!

While this thread has gone rather off topic, I'd like to note that when I first visited the Philadelphia mint in the mid-1970s, the coils of metal or "strip" were still being manufactured there.  I saw big slabs of red-hot metal that were being rolled thinner and thinner until they could be wound into the coils.  When I visited again in the mid-1980s, nearly that entire side of the production floor had been closed and cleared out.  Most of the windows on the visitors' catwalk that overlooked this area had been blocked with an opaque covering.