• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mexico 1 peso 1970 DDR
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Would this be considered doubling. I have a few of these, this is the only one im seeing that might possibly be doubling. Thought I would get some opinions. Thanks 

20230212_065849.jpg

20230212_070028.jpg

20230212_070155.jpg

It is doubling--mechanical kind. Some spots near the rim seem to show some, which might be DDD; I'm not very good at spotting the difference.

On 2/12/2023 at 10:51 AM, JKK said:

It is doubling--mechanical kind. Some spots near the rim seem to show some, which might be DDD; I'm not very good at spotting the difference.

Thank you JKK, I was wondering. I see doubling, but didn't know what kind of doubling. :S

On 2/12/2023 at 10:01 AM, Hinkle said:

Thank you JKK, I was wondering. I see doubling, but didn't know what kind of doubling. :S

If I understand the distinction--and I might be totally off base here--DDD is indicated when the shelves are toward the rim side of devices even when they appear on opposite sides of the coin (as in left of device vs. right, not obv vs. rev). I think normal MD is more imitative of the way a doubled die happens, in that the planchet moves and creates the smooshing so that it's very pronounced on one side and less so on another depending on where the center of the strike is/moves relative to the planchet's center (in a proper strike, the two are exactly the same). Key difference, of course, being that a doubled die happens to the die, whereas MD happens to a strike by a die.

Again, if that's all wet, someone should correct me. Since I do not much care about errors, I've only paid attention to the subject in order to distinguish MD from DDs and am not expert on the minting process.

Although I think that this is strike doubling, I find it interesting that it is only on the "O over M" mint mark for the Mexico City mint. As that was the only Mexican mint operating in 1970, I would have assumed that the mint mark was in the master die. If the mint mark was punched into each die by hand as on U.S. coins until the early 1990s, the coin might have a repunched mint mark.  It might be an interesting research project to find out how the mint marks were placed on dies at the Mexico City mint in 1970.

On 2/12/2023 at 3:28 PM, Sandon said:

Although I think that this is strike doubling, I find it interesting that it is only on the "O over M" mint mark for the Mexico City mint. As that was the only Mexican mint operating in 1970, I would have assumed that the mint mark was in the master die. If the mint mark was punched into each die by hand as on U.S. coins until the early 1990s, the coin might have a repunched mint mark.  It might be an interesting research project to find out how the mint marks were placed on dies at the Mexico City mint in 1970.

I am just starting to get my feet wet with Spanish coins, like those struck at the Mexico City mint, and I was thinking re-punched mint mark.  I don't see doubling anywhere else, which you would get with DDD.  Where are ppl seeing doubling besides the mint mark?

On 2/14/2023 at 10:02 AM, EagleRJO said:

I am just starting to get my feet wet with Spanish coins, like those struck at the Mexico City mint, and I was thinking re-punched mint mark.  I don't see doubling anywhere else, which you would get with DDD.  Where are ppl seeing doubling besides the mint mark?

Don’t just stand there with wet feet! That’s how you can get a fungus going! Try to keep your feet dry. 

On 2/14/2023 at 11:57 AM, VKurtB said:

Don’t just stand there with wet feet! That’s how you can get a fungus going! Try to keep your feet dry. 

Funny stuff Kurt.  But I am being very careful with older Spanish coins, and 8 Reales in particular, considering that I buy raw coins and there are so many well done counterfeits.  Older Spanish coins are among the most counterfeited coins, and there aren't any good die marker references, unlike other coins I collect like Morgans or older half dollars.

About the op's coin are you seeing doubling besides the mint mark?

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/14/2023 at 11:43 AM, EagleRJO said:

Funny stuff Kurt.  But I am being very careful with older Spanish coins, and 8 Reales in particular, considering that I buy raw coins and there are so many well done counterfeits.  Older Spanish coins are among the most counterfeited coins, and there aren't any good die marker references, unlike other coins I collect like Morgans or older half dollars.

About the op's coin are you seeing doubling besides the mint mark?

I don’t know by what method mintmarks are applied in Mexico City, but I knew I have several 1970 pesos in my Mexico box. I checked and one has this same look. And guess what. I really do not care. This stuff holds no appeal to me. I have a microscope. It’s an optical microscope specifically for coins, minerals, and circuit boards. I use it about once a year. Microscopes ain’t a coin thing, IMO..

Edited by VKurtB