• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1861 Confederate States Silver Half Dollar Inquiry

7 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I was recently doing some digging through some coins that we have in the family, and I came across this specimen: 

PXL_20230204_174623614.thumb.jpg.5ed578f3459f17f63b550038632ced51.jpg

PXL_20230204_174630627.thumb.jpg.abb71f38f4e0724b83e74e0ea8a2a1e4.jpg

After some research, it appears to be a 1861 Confederate States Silver Half Dollar (Scott restrike?). Am I on the right track? What is this coin's potential value? Thank you very kindly for the help!

Counterfeit. Actually a replica sold to tourists in many places, especially at Gettysburg PA, Stone Mountain, and other Civil War battlefields. These have been around for a long time.

They have no numismatic value.

On 2/11/2023 at 4:36 PM, RWB said:

Counterfeit. Actually a replica sold to tourists in many places, especially at Gettysburg PA, Stone Mountain, and other Civil War battlefields. These have been around for a long time.

They have no numismatic value.

Since the reverse has a big hint on it  word  Copy :baiting:

According to the "Redbook", the Scott Restrikes were made in or after 1879 from genuine 1861(-O?) U.S. half dollars whose reverses had been ground off and impressed with the recently discovered Confederate reverse die.  They are easily distinguishable from a replica like the one posted here, with or without the word "COPY". To see what they look like, go to 1861 50C CSA Restrike (Regular Strike) Confederate States of America - PCGS CoinFacts.

On 2/20/2023 at 10:31 AM, Nosainte said:

Ah, haha don't I feel stupid. Thanks guys! Looks like the Ferrari will have to wait!

Ferraris wait for no man. (Unless for Shelby Fords)