• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Review of New Haven, CT Show & Crusty, Gunky NEWP

10 posts in this topic

I went to the New Haven, CT coin show today. This is billed as CT's largest monthly show and I think it just might be the truth. Of course, CT is rather poor for coins shows, so the New Haven show should not be considered a major destination for numismatists. I believe the show started last year and today's crowd was the largest I have ever seen there, as well as a record number of dealers in attendance by my unofficial eyeballs.

I got there early, just about the time it opened up at 9:00 AM, and there was already a crowd of people on the floor looking through cases. One dealer who has been there before has many so-called dollars as well as some original medals. His stuff is quite cool and we talked for a bit. Another dealer sets up with his partner and they have a very good selection of original collector-friendly coins. That is, they have generally unmolested 19th century type in VG-EF and they don't charge an exhorbitant amount for it. The other dealers there had the typical variety of coins, but there weren't wonderfully toned coins on the floor for sale, regardless of price.

A PCGS board member had indicated he would like ot meet me at the show so I told him what I would be wearing and I brought with me a few monster toned pieces to share. I don't know if he couldn't make it or not, but he never showed as far as I know. So, I showed the box of toned coins to two dealers and received enthusiastic "WOW" responses for many of the coins.

I was only able to buy one coin today. It is a coin that I already have in my Barber half set but this one is a bit higher grade and somewhat more original. The coin is a 1907-O Barber and this piece is completely original and could go as high as VF30, though I have it recorded as VF25 for my set. The 1907-O is the classic "mumps" coin, struck with a slightly bulged, defective obverse die that gives Ms. Liberty a heck of a chin and neck. The remainder of the obverse is typically stuck weakly on this issue. The reverse of this coin is easily VF30, while the obverse brings it down to VF25 overall, simply because of the weak strike. Here it is.

841521-I1907O25a.jpg

841521-I1907O25a.jpg.e41efdf0b1429b308dc6e76ccc5bd339.jpg

Tom,

That's one crusty Barber! Thanks for the report!

About how many dealers were there? Was the show crowded?

Were there any dealers there who also go to Parsippany?

Hey Dave! smile.gif I'd guess that there were 35 tables that were set up with dealers and coins, though I didn't count. The floor traffic seemed heavy, but this is somewhat difficult to gague since the aisles in this show are a bit wider than is typical. The only Parsippany regular was Ira, though I did see some of the Parsippany faithful walking the floor.

The more I look at this crusty Barber, the more I like it! smile.gif

Sounds like a fabulous show, Tom. Congrats on another great addition to your growing collection-hoard of crusty, original Barber halves! thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Tom B-----What a great Barber!! As usual, your grading is perfect. But I would give it the VF30 just because of the eye appeal. You and I have just about the same tastes in half dollars. Who could not love a pretty piece as this one is?? One coin was worth the trip IMHO. Always nice to view such a nice coin. Bob [supertooth]

Is this coin going into your Barber Half Set? 893applaud-thumb.gifYou may want to push out a few colored commems to make room. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Good report Tom, and nice Barber you were able to pick up.

I toyed with the idea of heading down to this show, but it seems a bit too small for a long drive. This was the one free Sunday when it could have happened for me though. That's right, it was 90 degrees out...........

We usually have a show on the second Sunday up here (70 tables?) in Auburn Ma. that conflicts with the New Haven show, and that may be another reason why the Ct. show was so busy. There was no Auburn Ma. show, so I would imagine there was more than one dealer that usually does Auburn that made the trip to New Haven.

I really like coins such as that. There's a lot more "history" attached to that coin than there is one in MS-66! Your coin's been on a long journey, and through a lot of hands, and that, after all, is what history's all about.

James