• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legged U
1 1

14 posts in this topic

That's simply the way the new reverse was designed!  The "U" in United is supposed to be a capital "U" and doesn't have a leg on the vast majority of U.S. coins.  The "Type 1" Silver Eagles dated from 1986-2007 don't have a leg on the "U" either, as well as a minority of 2008-W burnished uncirculated pieces that were minted with the old reverse by mistake. The leg on the "U" on pieces from 2008-2021 was a stylistic change made when the master dies were replaced in 2008.  There were other minor changes made to details of both the obverse and reverse at that time.

It's a different type font, that's all. (PS: There is no secret place where "U-legs" are kept for some future use.)

Presumably, this was simply the artistic preference of Emily Damstra, the "Artistic Infusion Program Designer" and/or Michael Gaudioso, the medallic artist, whom the mint jointly credits with designing the Type 2 reverse.  Perhaps you should contact the mint to see if you could ask them. 

Why? It could be preference, like Sandon says, or it could be technical. Details of coin designs are frequently altered to increase die life, improve striking, reduce minting pressure, etc. No one outside the technical folks every know about these.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:22 AM, RWB said:

It's a different type font, that's all. (PS: There is no secret place where "U-legs" are kept for some future use.)

They float around the country in the atmosphere along with the R’s that fall to earth in Indiana in the word “warsh”.

On 1/27/2023 at 5:32 PM, Sandon said:

Presumably, this was simply the artistic preference of Emily Damstra, the "Artistic Infusion Program Designer" and/or Michael Gaudioso, the medallic artist, whom the mint jointly credits with designing the Type 2 reverse.  Perhaps you should contact the mint to see if you could ask them. 

No, all current coin designs are DIGITALLY done, not with plasters any more. All text is now done with PostScript digital fonts, just like late 1980’s desktop publishing software. Some PostScript fonts have serifs on the capital U, and some do not. THIS IS WHY THE 2007/2008 CHANGE HAPPENED. The software system requires using the entire typeset, not picking and choosing. I’m old enough to have owned an entire Adobe PostScript font catalog, PRINTED IN A BOOK!! Now you might ask what my source is, IOW how I know this. I was told, face to face, man to man, by one John M. Mercanti, former Chief Engraver of the Inited States Mint, at a talk given by him at the Baltimore Whitman Show, in 2013, I believe. It was the occasion of the publishing of the 2nd Edition of his book on American Silver Eagles. Mine is signed by Mercanti and dedicated to my son. The information I have relayed above ALSO appears on page 100 of that book, cover pictured below:

image.thumb.jpg.ec51b1668ffaf4fbd7a5fb0592571a3a.jpg
image.thumb.jpg.8f20b634ec2186531328eefade7a3a33.jpg

The dedication to my son. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/28/2023 at 8:55 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

Thank you Sir for your reply. You seem to be a man of great resource. Your answer is on point and very helpful. 

De nada, señor. 

On 1/28/2023 at 5:28 PM, VKurtB said:

They float around the country in the atmosphere along with the R’s that fall to earth in Indiana in the word “warsh”.

Along with the R's that fall in New York for use in the word "idear". (:

On 1/28/2023 at 8:55 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

Thank you Sir for your reply. You seem to be a man of great resource. Your answer is on point and very helpful. 

Thank you. I spend time and treasure going to numismatic events, by plane, train, and car. Since I retired to Alabama, it’s not so much train as it used to be, and my new car is being delayed by the “chip” shortage, but as long as I don’t mind a horrible experience, I can still fly out of Birmingham, Huntsville, or Nashville. When my new car gets here, I’ll drive anything under 1,000 miles one way. No EV’s for me. Not now, not ever. 

Edited by VKurtB