• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anybody have any knowledge of this coin?

2 posts in this topic

It has the design and dimensions of a Spanish colonial 8R.  Assuming it's genuine, it appears to be a 1711 (date is on the third row of the "tic-tac-toe") from Lima, Peru ("Lm" on top and right left squares).

First, you'll need to weigh and measure the diameter.  I don't recall the dimensions offhand.  Second, you'll need to compare the design elements to another source, as I do not remember the specifics.  With the information I gave you, you should be able to find this with a web search.

Whether it is genuine or not will almost certainly be related to how you acquired it.  It has the appearance of royal coinage which was made with extra care.  Most of the Lima 8R of this period are cobs, frequently stamped lumps of metal.

Lima royals (of any denominations) are rare or very rare.  If you didn't obtain it from a reliable source, it's almost certainly counterfeit.  You don't find these on eBay, at pawnshops, or at flea markets.