• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Variety china coins 5 Yuan 1988 Bi Sheng ??????????

4 posts in this topic

I'm not familiar with that coin, but is it possible some of these coins were counter struck like chop marks on trade dollars which NGC will still certify, and not consider a damaged or modified coin.

Edited by EagleRJO

If it's not a chop mark, then it might just be a counter-stamped coin. Also, I don't think that's a variety as it doesn't appear to be a feature of the coin die that varied from struck coin to struck coin ...

https://www.ngccoin.in/variety-plus/what-is-a-variety/#:~:text=A variety is a coin,to a set of dies.

It might be an error coin if you can identify how that occurred during the coin production, but I don't see that being the case with the distinct shape of the mark and nothing that I can think of which may have caused that during the coin production like a struck through error.  The thing that's sticking in my side is that NGC certified the coin, unless it was just missed which isn't very likely.

Maybe some others could chime in here with some opinions on the mark and what I am seeing.