• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting thread about W Barber & G Soley dime-size medals

1 post in this topic

On the other side of the tracks there is an interesting thread about tiny medals with religious inscriptions made by William Barber and George Soley at their home-based medal business.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1086459/a-very-tiny-medal-1877-lords-prayer-medal

Here is a letter, one of several, relating to this business. (Apologies for the awful text parsing -- this site does not hand pasted text very well.)

Mint of the United States,

Philadelphia, January 10, 1876

Hon. H.R. Linderman.

Director of the Mint.

Washington D.C.

Sir:

Your letter of the 6th inst in relation to the price of medals and the manufacture of private dies by Meyers, Soley, and Barber and Son, has been received.

As regards the cost of the various public medals, and medals struck for societies and individuals, I believe from frequent and careful estimates, the price fixed, is as nearly in

accordance with the rule you state, and upon which we base our calculations, as possible. The cost or price depends, to some extent, upon the quantity or number ordered, and this we consider

in the calculation. Our prices have generally been fixed by me, with the approval of the Director, as the 8th rule relating to medals requires. I will however, as soon as possible, reexamine the

prices as you suggest and modify the same according to the fact.

I also carefully examined the allegations in reference to the machine made by Mr. Soley after the pattern of the Hill Engraving machine. The facts are these. Mr. Soley invented and

made for himself a small machine for preparing medal dies, which is not after the pattern of the Hill Engraving machine, and does not infringe on said patent. Mr. Soley’s machine is ingenious,

so small that it can be carried with ease under the arm, and he assures me the design is his own, and no part of the patent of the Hill machine has been infringed. He has made but few dies

himself, and none in the Mint – all at his own house, and out of Mint hours. The Hill Engraving machine has not been used by him or Mr. Barber in the manufacture of private medal dies. I may

say here, that this machine is, and has been for some years, “under the control of the Engraver in subordination to myself,” and no original dies are or shall be prepared thereon without the

sanction of your office. My orders, in accordance with law and regulations, to the Engraver, Soley and all others are imperitive [sic], that no dies or work for private parties are to be made in

the Mint; neither during working hours or on Mint machinery.

I have also examined into the allegations against Mr. Barber & Son. Mr. Barber has made a number of dies for outside parties, but as I have already said, he has not used the Hill

Engraving machine to aid him in their manufacture. He, or his son, may have, in a leisure hour, worked at some of his dies in the Mint, during Mint hours, but this he assures me has not often

occurred. I have peremptorily ordered a discontinuance of the practice, first, last and all the time. The great trouble, as you suggest, and as charged by outside parties, is that he has in his

possession the old engraving machine which was superseded by the Hill Engraving machine, and uses this, with improvements made by himself, in preparing dies. It was removed to his rooms in

1867 or 8, or about that time. I have no knowledge of the circumstances or terms under which it was removed. This machine, however, still belongs to the Mint, and I have directed him to return

it at once, as suggested in your letter, or purchase the same, as he should do, if retained by him. He says he will make an offer for it. As to the mode of selling it, whether by addressing letter to

Artists and inviting bids, or taking the offer he may make, will be submitted to you for your action. If the sale of the machine is not advisable it should be returned and retained here. There is

the usual jealousy prevailing among artists, and I believe that the charges made by outside parties against Messrs. Barber and Soley, are, as you say, greatly exaggerated.

So far as I am able to enforce the rules all causes of complaint shall at once be removed. The orders have been given, and will be obeyed.

Very Respectfully,

Jas. Pollock

Sup (Superintendent)

Edited by RWB