• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do coin exhibit judges deduct for false and erronious information in displays?

52 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2023 at 10:56 AM, RWB said:

Why do I keep getting the impression that exhibit judging is mostly "Pretty in Pink?"

Why do you keep getting MOST of the incorrect impressions you get? We all stand in rapt wonder. But seriously, it’s all due to your incredible level of ignorance. 

On 1/13/2023 at 1:12 PM, VKurtB said:

Why do you keep getting MOST of the incorrect impressions you get? We all stand in rapt wonder. But seriously, it’s all due to your incredible level of ignorance. 

Reading this thread reminds me of the saying "Form over substance".

It's a hobby, not the writing of a doctoral thesis or academic paper.

Edited by World Colonial

On 1/13/2023 at 1:21 PM, World Colonial said:

...Amen, Amen...

Lookit, the hard truth is that Roger Burdette is a “one trick pony”. He does precisely ONE THING extraordinarily well. He deserves credit for that. Most people fall short of that. He does treat this hobby in a completely bizarre manner that is unique to him. That is also to be celebrated. His niche is well served by one Roger. We don’t need any more of him. 

On 1/12/2023 at 9:23 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'd love to see an exhibit on The Gold Standard, gold coins, Gold Certificates, international trade, etc. (thumbsu

I can just see it now....Kurt being led away by armed security as he tries to take a hammer to the display cases !! xD

Gold coins is an entire CATEGORY of exhibits (there are 21 of them) at the World’s Fair of Money. I am not certified to judge gold coins. I am certified in U.S. Coins, Medals, Tokens, and Decorations. Only those at this point. My son is certified to judge European Coins. 

On 1/13/2023 at 12:21 PM, World Colonial said:

Having a copy of Sources: Their Use and Acknowledgement was required at my Bachelor’s Degree alma mater. This hobby is NOT a thesis. I’ve written only one, and it was sufficient. (Educational Opportunity as a Cause of Urban Poverty) (hint: my findings got departmental honors in economics) (I grew up in urban poverty schools.) We cannot be a field where exhibitors must access The Oracle of Northern Virginia, aka Mr. Burdette, to learn of his most recent wisdom. Gee, maybe less vanity house publishing might help? Ya’ think????

On 1/13/2023 at 1:36 PM, VKurtB said:

Lookit, the hard truth is that Roger Burdette is a “one trick pony”. He does precisely ONE THING extraordinarily well. He deserves credit for that. Most people fall short of that. He does treat this hobby in a completely bizarre manner that is unique to him. That is also to be celebrated. His niche is well served by one Roger. We don’t need any more of him. 

...he just got his feelings hurt when Charmy's photo tour of the FUN show got more viewers than his number of books sold....

On 1/13/2023 at 3:23 PM, zadok said:

...he just got his feelings hurt when Charmy's photo tour of the FUN show got more viewers than his number of books sold....

I think Roger would be well served to tap the brakes a little on the writing and concentrate on finding a “regular” non-vanity publisher. Is it easy? Oh heck no. But the rewards would be worth it, and I don’t mean just the financial ones. Does Whitman have a near-monopoly? Sure they do. But Q. David Bowers is NOT immortal. There will be an absence. 

I get it. Numismatic publishing is a tough field. THE reference on Matte Proof Lincoln Cents, by Carl Waltz of Pennsylvania, is printed from a color copier and spiral bound one by one. But the material is worthy of regular publishing. It covers ALL the MPLC’s by DIE STATE! Anything worth doing is difficult. I tell Carl to turn to getting his work published, too. 

Niche works need to be hard bound. Look around the field of Hard Times Tokens classic references. All smallish, all available hard bound. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/13/2023 at 4:28 PM, VKurtB said:

I think Roger would be well served to tap the brakes a little on the writing and concentrate on finding a “regular” non-vanity publisher. Is it easy? Oh heck no. But the rewards would be worth it, and I don’t mean just the financial ones. Does Whitman have a near-monopoly? Sure they do. But Q. David Bowers is NOT immortal. There will be an absence. 

I get it. Numismatic publishing is a tough field. THE reference on Matte Proof Lincoln Cents, by Carl Waltz of Pennsylvania, is printed from a color copier and spiral bound one by one. But the material is worthy of regular publishing. It covers ALL the MPLC’s by DIE STATE! Anything worth doing is difficult. I tell Carl to turn to getting his work published, too. 

Niche works need to be hard bound. Look around the field of Hard Times Tokens classic references. All smallish, all available hard bound. 

...another good example(s) r Bill Bugert's multiple volumes on Liberty Seated half dollars...the finest numismatic reference books published in the past several decades....

On 1/13/2023 at 3:50 PM, zadok said:

...another good example(s) r Bill Bugert's multiple volumes on Liberty Seated half dollars...the finest numismatic reference books published in the past several decades....

Are they the “Overton of Seated Halves”? 

On 1/13/2023 at 3:23 PM, zadok said:

Charmy’s and my taste in wines match well. But since my cerebral hemorrhage in 2009, my docs have me on an extremely low alcohol intake regimen. I have to be very careful with my intake. 

On 1/13/2023 at 6:42 PM, VKurtB said:

Charmy’s and my taste in wines match well. But since my cerebral hemorrhage in 2009, my docs have me on an extremely low alcohol intake regimen. I have to be very careful with my intake. 

I thought wine was good for some health issues like blood, cholesterol, etc. (i.e, the French).

On 1/13/2023 at 5:57 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I thought wine was good for some health issues like blood, cholesterol, etc. (i.e, the French).

Yeah, but not for compromised cerebral blood vessels. 

On 1/11/2023 at 12:23 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I do think it would be interesting to see (or better understand) an exhibit scorecard.  What actually goes into scoring exhibits against each other?  Are there weighted points for accuracy, presentation, completeness, rarity, etc?  These exhibits can have extremely different qualities, so how does a judge compare an apple and an orange sitting side-by-side?

I have never exhibited and will likely never have a collection that warrants such, but I am curious how they are judged.

And I’ll bet you do, or could if you cared to. It does not take ridiculously expensive material. What you need is a story/narrative to tell. It’s NOT “registry collecting”. 

Edited by VKurtB

I'm not as concerned with historical accuracy to the nth degree.  I think exhibits are mostly EDUCATIONAL and designed to SPUR INTEREST in our hobby.  That said, if something is clearly false or questionable, it shouldn't be in there.

I believe BillJones here had an exhibit at FUN 2020 which I found very informative.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 1/13/2023 at 10:44 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm not as concerned with historical accuracy to the nth degree.  I think exhibits are mostly EDUCATIONAL and designed to SPUR INTEREST in our hobby.  That said, if something is clearly false or questionable, it shouldn't be in there.

I believe BillJones here had an exhibit at FUN 2020 which I found very informative.

January FUN has the best exhibits aside from ANA shows. 

On 1/13/2023 at 6:18 PM, VKurtB said:

Are they the “Overton of Seated Halves”? 

...his 6 volumes plus addendum r all on the Liberty Seated half dollar series n r online free at the Liberty Seated Coin Collectors web site...if u want to see real original coin research check it out....

On 1/13/2023 at 11:44 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

...thats the real intent of the exhibits...educational n stimulation for the hobby...in all the years of viewing the various exhibits i have not seen any that were intentionally false or questionable, true some of the exhibitors may use reference sources that r out of date n info that has been updated and/or corrected but in those cases i believe the oversights were unintentional n mostly due to not having awareness or access to the updated info....

Here you go - see the new changes for yourself via Zoom - ANA eLearning 

Changes in Exhibit Judging

Beginning in 2023, ANA is using a new rating sheet for competitive exhibits. Point distribution is changed, and a new judging criterion has been added (“Inspiration and Education”). To learn about how these changes will be integrated into the judging process, watch an eLearning presentation of the Judges’ Familiarization and Certification Program presented by ANA exhibit judge trainer Brett Irick and chief exhibit judge Joseph Boling. Existing judges who tune in to this webinar will receive credit for their five-year recertification requirement.

At least three regional organizations (PAN, MSNS, and FUN) will have used this experimental rating sheet before it debuts at this year’s two ANA conventions.

TIME: February 7, 2023 | 10AM (MT)

GREAT! Now they can get rid of the out-of-date PowerPoint presentation that has been spewing obsolete information since 2018. 

Good information discussed in the presentation. If you are going to exhibit or judge - need to know. Anyone other than maybe Kurt watch it?