• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you verify an adjective graded coin such as Gem Proof or Choice Gem when there is no selection for it in the NGC Verification drop down menu? Changes needed?
2 2

5 posts in this topic

I recently tried to verify the authenticity of an NGC adjectival graded coin. The coin is a 1960 Lincoln Cent Proof NGC graded Gem Proof. I entered the certification number and several combinations of  MS65, 66, 67 ,details, etc. All entries returned no record on file. Am I missing something or is this a counterfeit coin? See pics below of coin in question. The NGC label on the front lower right corner does look a bit off. If theres and easy way to add these type of non numerical graded coins to the drop down menu in NGC Authentication please do it! 

s-l500.jpg

• Administrator

Hi Mike, 

Do you have this coin in your possession? It looks like the grade has been changed. This is sometimes done for certain sales listings or marketing purposes.

We appreciate your interest in NGC. 

Thanks!

Well thank you my friends now I know this is a PF68 RD Gem coin GV $110. I do not own this coin. I saw it for sale online for $40.00 and wanted to know more about it. The small date can be worth quite a bit in PF 68+, PF69 or higher. I considered buying this and cracking it out for a straight grade. Prior to doing this I wanted to know the basics on the coin. The adjectival grade is shown altered or overwritten on the listing but you guys think the actual label on the holdered coin says PF68 RD in real life? If so then I would not consider the coin for crack out or regrade. I may just buy it and add to my registry at that price point. I will contact the seller. Not the highest graded proof cent but very nice for the price. Also the drop down menu still needs an adjectival grade selection. Thanks guys

Edited by Mike Meenderink