• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

chat window on NGC web site

17 posts in this topic

hello everybody i was just on the NGC web site and a chat window popped up with somebody that said they will give me an appraisal and there was a fee of five dollars and it was payable with paypal when i went to pay the five dollar price had changed to $70.00 is this a scam or is it legit?

Edited by Just1hoein

On 1/9/2023 at 10:40 AM, Just1hoein said:

hello every body i was just on the NGC web site and a chat window popped up with somebody that said they will give me an appraisal and there was a fee of five dollars and it was payable with paypal when i went to pay the five dolklar price had changed to $70.00 is this a scam or is it lejit?

Wow.  I never heard of that one before?

Edited by J P M

On 1/9/2023 at 7:52 AM, Just1hoein said:

yeah mee too i hope i wasint hacked on my paypal for $70.00

it was a little bit sneaky if you ask me they could have just quoted the price in the first place i don't mind paying for a service like that but not when they get all squirrely on me and say one thing and do another when your back is turned

On 1/9/2023 at 10:52 AM, Just1hoein said:

yeah mee too i hope i wasint hacked on my paypal for $70.00

PayPal has a lot of safety's. Just go to a different log in and check your account.  

That sounds like a scam. If I were you, I would contact PayPal immediately. I would also let NGC know by email, or by posting on the Ask NGC forum, that this occurred on their website. They may not can stop things like this from happening, but at least they will know about it.

As it doesn't look like anyone else has had this problem on this site, it may be @Just1hoein's computer that has been compromised.  Although I'm not a computer expert, I would recommend that he run a scan with current antivirus and antimalware software to hopefully identify and eliminate any such problems.  He should also activate pop-up blockers on his browser if he has not already done so.

I use iOS devices exclusively for communication these days and they can all be “purified” by hard restarting them. 

On 1/19/2023 at 6:00 PM, EagleRJO said:

Why not just restore the drive or wipe it with a factory reset instead of trashing the whole computer.

Just ask Hillary Clinton’s IT guy about Bleach Bit.