• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do TPGs return your early 3-cent and 5-cent CuNi coins labeled “Cleaned?”

3 posts in this topic

There might be an historical reason for this.

Following introduction of copper-nickel 3- and 5-cent coins the Treasury wanted to keep these coins in circulation as long as possible thereby saving labor and the expense of buying suitable blanks from Joseph Wharton and his various agents.

To accomplish this, the Philadelphia Mint redeemed old pure copper and copper-nickel cents for new 5-cent CuNi coins, thus pushing the new coins into commerce. To keep them circulating, the authorized redemption of  these same coins when damaged, mutilated or “unsuitable” – meaning dirty. The public demanded bright new coins and the Mint complied by sorting and cleaning all the 3- and 5-cent CuNi coins submitted by sub-Treasuries, railroads, toll roads and businesses.

Cleaning was explained this way to the Asst. Treasurer, Boston by mint director Pollock in 1875 ––

“…I have to state for your official information that to clean redeemed copper-nickel coins, we dip momentarily in aquafortis, and then finish by a dip in pure nitric acid, the moment it is finished the pieces are thrown into water containing a mere trace of sulfuric [sic] acid. They can be kept almost any length of time in this acidulated water without tarnishing. They are then wiped dry and revolved in a wheel in masses to give them a little polish.” [RG104 E-6 Box 5 Vol 1 Dec 7, 1875.]

This practice continued through the 1880s and occasionally thereafter. What a TPG might describe as "cleaning" could be a product of intentional US Mint activity. Naturally, it doesn't matter who does the cleaning, but the above might help understand what happened to your "uncirculated" 1877 nickel.

Edited by RWB

I've seen many circulated copper-nickel three cent pieces and Shield nickels with rough or "porous" surfaces.  This practice may explain many of such pieces.

Possibly. If I come across anything that clearly reports the redemption criteria, I'll publish it. "Worn, mutilated, damaged, dirty" are the common operative words.