• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New article on foreign coins in the early US economy

6 posts in this topic

An article titled "Circulation of Foreign Gold and Silver Coins in the United States – 1826" is scheduled for publication by the American Numismatic Society in The American Journal of Numismatics.

In response to a resolution of the Senate, mint director Samuel Moore distributed a 3-page survey to Bank of the United States offices, Registers of Land, Receivers of Public Moneys, and large banks throughout the country. A surviving selection of replies provides a snapshot of foreign and domestic coins in public hands and how these varied from one region to another east of the Mississippi River.

Basically, until the 1850's from what I read (maybe a few years or a decade or two earlier with the transition)....lots of foreign coins, especially gold coins, were basically accepted and traded and used in the U.S.

Spanish doubloons, British gold/silver, etc. (thumbsu

Seems like about the 1830's the U.S. started to steal-back market share.....and then when the Double Eagle and California Gold Rush hit, all the U.S. gold coins really took off.  By the late-1800's, I doubt anybody NOT using paper money was eschewing U.S. gold or silver coins for foreign.

It will be interesting to see how this new information lines up with the books that I have on the subject. I already know that one of them has some numbers that have been proven to be wrong. I am curious about whether the other one is accurate or not , as well. If I remember right, both were written in the 60s.