• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chop Marked Trade Dollars
1 1

6 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2022 at 9:16 AM, EagleRJO said:

I am very interested in Trade Dollars that have chop marks and came across a very interesting article about them on the Littleton Coin website ...

https://www.littletoncoin.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Display|10001|29555|-1||LearnNav|Chop-Marked-Trade-Dollars.html

...not rare but collectable....

On 12/31/2022 at 2:13 PM, zadok said:

...not rare but collectable....

[Q.A.:  While half as many people spell it collectable, collectible remains the Gold Standard in the King's English].

🐓:  What about the chopmarks?

Q.A.:  If Eagle' insists, get me the pile we have in the old cedar chest.  We'll chop 'em up any which way he wishes.

🐓 :  You intend to keep your New Year's resolution?

Q.A.:  I do.  And if there are members around still spoutin' that Sleepy Hollow rubbish, they haven't seen nothin' yet... ]  :whatthe:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Routine die polishing.

In one sense, Asian chops are in the same category as "regulator" stamps on gold coins used in the US. In another sense, they are mutilations that ruin the coin. Seller like the first for hyping "false value" and buyers like the second 'cause the coins are other hit by hammers or banged with rocks - bullion with little meaningful history.

The few references on chops don't go very far in connecting the paths of Asian commerce for these pieces. (After all, they were made to be melted....)

On 12/31/2022 at 5:27 PM, RWB said:

This post across the tracks might also be of interest.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1085629/newly-acquired-1809-bust-half-dollar-with-chinese-chopmarks

I suspect most of these are Japanese not from any of the China ports.

Interesting that there was even a chopped 1881-S Morgan.