• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

repairing damaged coins?

9 posts in this topic

I'm not exactly a newbie :cool:...but I have never posted anything here.

I recently purchased a 1938-D Buffalo nickel that appears to be in AU 58 or better condition. I realize that having this coin graded will cost as much as the current value for an AU 58.

My problem is that the local coin shop has informed me that the coin has " pvc" damage and that degrades the coin. Is there any way to fix this damage on a coin and still have something that is gradable? Apparently, this kind of damage is a common occurrence. I appreciate any positive feedback available...:takeit:

20221225_174134[1].jpg

20221225_174151[1].jpg

Welcome to the Chat Box

Acetone is the only thing that may help without damaging the coin further. Depending on the extent of the PVC damage, there may be some damage to the coin underneath it.

In the future, please crop your photos, this will increase the size and get rid of the unnecessary background.

Hold the phone ! Why would you have what appears to be a common 1938 D Buffalo nickel even if it is an AU-58, would not be worth the cost of grading unless there is a specific or sentimental reason to do so. Even if it is an RPM D/S, would be worth $50, but can’t tell from the photos.

On 12/27/2022 at 2:48 AM, GW1976 said:

I recently purchased a 1938-D Buffalo nickel that appears to be in AU 58 or better condition. I realize that having this coin graded will cost as much as the current value for an AU 58.

It may be a high grade AU coin, but better pics would need to be posted to give you a better idea on grade.  Or even better, you can go to PCG$ CoinFacts and compare your coin in-hand to the graded coins to come up with a grade ... https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/buffalo-nickel-1913-1938/83

In any event I agree it would not be worth it to submit the coin to a TPG for grading at about a $100 all-in grading cost ... https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/nickels/24/

On 12/27/2022 at 2:48 AM, GW1976 said:

My problem is that the local coin shop has informed me that the coin has " pvc" damage and that degrades the coin. Is there any way to fix this damage on a coin and still have something that is gradable? Apparently, this kind of damage is a common occurrence. I appreciate any positive feedback available...:takeit:

On 12/27/2022 at 5:58 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

A soak in some acetone should remove any PVC from the coin's surface and will not damage the coin if handled properly. 

As others have stated, soaking the coin in acetone may remove much of that "pvc damage" to the coin.  Just don't get impatient and scrape the coin with things like toothpicks as that will damage the coin forever.

On 12/27/2022 at 7:14 AM, Greenstang said:

In the future, please crop your photos, this will increase the size and get rid of the unnecessary background.

It helps to crop photos, like the attached.

1938-D Buffalo Nickel Obverse.jpg

1938-D Buffalo Nickel Reverse.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

The advice above is sound, use a glass container if possible and pure acetone not fingernail polish remover.   Let the coin sit for a while and every so often agitate the acetone by gently swirling the container.   If/once the acetone becomes green or murky change out for a fresh bath of acetone, depending on how much PVC is present it can take several baths to remove it all.   Once you feel confident that all the PVC is removed place the coin on a paper towel, acetone will completely evaporate so no need to do any drying or further washing.   Hopefully the PVC has not etched the surface of the coin, but it can if left untreated.

Western WA? Cheers from the Portland burbs. Go Dawgs! ('86) Do you go to the PNNA show when it comes around, or even come down to ours in November?

Coins cannot be repaired. They might be "prettified" a little, but wear or damage cannot be altered without further degrading the coin.