• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trade Dollars

8 posts in this topic

I don't collect British coins, but I do collect US trade dollars and in particular ones with chop marks.  I came across the attached raw 1909 British trade dollar I liked because of the chop marks, and was thinking of bidding on it but I know very little about these coins.  I did find an NGC price guide ...

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/great-britain-dollar-km-t5-1895-1935-cuid-1202269-duid-1334864

However, I didn't find any varieties info to evaluate the coin or other info like the difference between a 1909/8B verses a 1909-B, etc.  Any help or good sites to go to for these coins would be appreciated.

1909 Great Britain Silver Trade Dollar XF Chopmarks $255 Apmex.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Thanks Bill, that does give me a bit more info.  But that coin from Apmex doesn't have the chop marks I find interesting.  This is the one with chop marks posted above ... https://www.apmex.com/product/216623/great-britain-silver-trade-dollar-xf-chopmarks

I'm really looking for additional info on the coin series and authentication, like with NGC VarietyPlus but I don't see the coin I'm interested in listed there.

Edited by EagleRJO

Okay, how about a chopped US trade dollar.

This one is a 1878-S Trade dollar ... see attached.  Looks like XF grade only because of all the contact marks in the fields, and a $350 NGC Value.  What do you guys think of the grade?

1878-S Trade Dollar Chop Marks - Bid eBay chbu_8385.jpg

1878-S Trade Dollar NGC Value1.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/27/2022 at 3:47 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Looks AU to me. 

I was going with XF because of all the contact marks in the fields, like in front of liberty on the obverse, as well as above and around the eagle on the reverse.  I think that knocks it down from an AU to an XF+

On 12/27/2022 at 3:47 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I really like the story behind the chop marks. 

That is what draws me to Trade Dollars, which I find very interesting.  I was trying to decipher the chop marks for a few I have, and apparently they represent the traders who were using those coins.

My understanding is that for authenticity you need to compare the location, position and shape of the stars, liberty, pedestal, eagle, arrows, etc. which I did but the stars look off.  Attached is the 1878-S trade dollar I'm looking into as well as an example 1878-S T$1 I used for comparison.

It looks pretty good to me, but another set of eyes on the coin would be appreciated.

1878-S Trade Dollar Chop Marks - Bid eBay chbu_8385.jpg

1878-S T$1 Example.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO