• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling on GC

19 posts in this topic

Happy Holidays to all, Thoughts or experience on "added services" to coins being sold on GC. My coins will yield approximately 400 to 600 dollars per coin ( based on previous auctions).

Here are the charges per coin : 

* Bold Title- 2.00 

* Highlight listing via search results- 3.00

* Featured Homepage presence: 10.00 (for only 5 days of auction)

Thoughts, feeling, on these services ?

Thanx :) 

Thank you, that's what I was thinking that it wasn't worth it :) I did it once with 2 coins hoping to get over 1,000 which means you don't pay seller's fee. One coin was much over 1000 so I didn't need to spend the extra money and one was under by 50, and therefore I spent 15 bucks for nothing LOL. Thanx again for all the comments :) 

On 12/21/2022 at 10:55 PM, Rod D. said:

As a buyer/bidder, I don’t pay much attention to the home page, bolded coins, or highlighted coins. I always wondered if the “hotlist” icon was an add-on fee. 

Same here. I just go straight for whatever type coins Im looking for. I never look on the homepage. 

I was wondering if your coins dont sell in auction what do they charge you per coin. I plan on doing some upgrading soon and I got 5 or 6 GWs I plan on selling to help pay on the ones Im replacing. A handful of my regretful purchases when I first started collecting them. They may not bring much but ill be happy if I can get part of it back. Not looking to make a huge profit or nothing like that. I dont even consider myself a seller. I consider myself a collector. Just like to replace a few problem coins. Get a few bucks back to put towards the replacements

Seller's fee (12.9% last I checked unless its over 1000 and there will not be a fee); is only after coins sell , they site says after 2 auctions they send coin back to seller, but I've recently coins on for 3 straight auctions. I've been using them many, many times upgrading sets ; plus they ship coin to buyer. Ebay is a hassle with seller's fees, shipping cost, disgruntled customers wanting something for nothing lol. I was told that HA requires 5,000 minimum ???? I'm a GC fan especially for selling. 

:) 

On 12/22/2022 at 5:51 PM, LDH Coins & Memorabilia said:

Seller's fee (12.9% last I checked unless its over 1000 and there will not be a fee); is only after coins sell , they site says after 2 auctions they send coin back to seller, but I've recently coins on for 3 straight auctions. I've been using them many, many times upgrading sets ; plus they ship coin to buyer. Ebay is a hassle with seller's fees, shipping cost, disgruntled customers wanting something for nothing lol. I was told that HA requires 5,000 minimum ???? I'm a GC fan especially for selling. 

:) 

I really like them as a buyer. Ive bought several coins from them. The biggest part of my registry sets came from GC. Ive never attempted to sell through them though. Ive been thinking about digging all my coins out I want to upgrade and replace and trying to sell through them. 

On 12/22/2022 at 8:25 PM, LDH Coins & Memorabilia said:

Well as I said I only expect to receive about 75-80% of what I paid - but part of that is me making slightly over price purchases to complete a set. Then I want to upgrade and I justify in mind that I'm cutting my losses by selling my upgrade  LOL :) 

Ive over paid a few times to get a coin I really wanted. If I ever upgrade a few of those Ill probably never get back what I paid neither. 

On 12/22/2022 at 8:49 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Ive over paid a few times to get a coin I really wanted. If I ever upgrade a few of those Ill probably never get back what I paid neither. 

Think about this, Hog.....how long did it take you to find that coin that you really liked/loved online ?  How tiring was it to click the mouse you are using right now ?

Now...imagine having to drive to 2 or 3 more local coin shops (LCS)....attend a small regional coin show....call a few dealers....go to some further LCS at least 1 hour away....maybe 2 hours.....and then you get the same coin, a few weeks or months or even a year later, for maybe 10-15% less.

Maybe !! xD

On 12/23/2022 at 12:46 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Think about this, Hog.....how long did it take you to find that coin that you really liked/loved online ?  How tiring was it to click the mouse you are using right now ?

Now...imagine having to drive to 2 or 3 more local coin shops (LCS)....attend a small regional coin show....call a few dealers....go to some further LCS at least 1 hour away....maybe 2 hours.....and then you get the same coin, a few weeks or months or even a year later, for maybe 10-15% less.

Maybe !! xD

These are problem coins I bought when I first started. Ive been planning on replacing them for a long time. Thats the problem. I got in to big of a hurry and bought the first thing on Ebay. Now I got some that are bothering me. I plan on buying more online to replace them. We dont have any local coin shops so Im pretty much stuck buying online. Wish I had the time and money to go to shows but I cant get away from work long enough. When I do Im to broke to go. Im not worried about losing on selling the ones Im going to. I know im gonna lose on them. I just like to get some of my money back to buy a better example. Also these arent real big money coins like the DEs. If they were Id probably be more worried about it. They are very common 1950s quarters. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 12/23/2022 at 12:46 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Maybe !! xD

Financially (key word here) given what most collectors buy, it doesn't make sense to upgrade because of the supply.  It's a virtually guaranteed way to lose money that could have been spent on further reaching the goal.

Sometimes, maybe it makes sense to do this if you're collecting into a fast rising market and waiting will end up costing you more.  This probably happened in the 70's (based upon across the board price increases) and might be happening now for mid-priced to more expensive coins.  I doubt it's happening for cheaper coins, but this is an inference on my part only.

Personally, I just buy what is available when it comes available, if it meets my minimum quality criteria and I'm ok with the price.  I don't have the option of choosing or waiting.  I own duplicates but I just keep it, as there is almost never anything else I'd rather own instead.

On 12/23/2022 at 6:30 PM, World Colonial said:

Financially (key word here) given what most collectors buy, it doesn't make sense to upgrade because of the supply.  It's a virtually guaranteed way to lose money that could have been spent on further reaching the goal.

Sometimes, maybe it makes sense to do this if you're collecting into a fast rising market and waiting will end up costing you more.  This probably happened in the 70's (based upon across the board price increases) and might be happening now for mid-priced to more expensive coins.  I doubt it's happening for cheaper coins, but this is an inference on my part only.

Personally, I just buy what is available when it comes available, if it meets my minimum quality criteria and I'm ok with the price.  I don't have the option of choosing or waiting.  I own duplicates but I just keep it, as there is almost never anything else I'd rather own instead.

My problem is when I first started putting my set together I bought some very ugly toned coins I find as eye sores now. That was before I learned to have patience and pick ones I really like. I plan on selling them for whatever I can get out of them even if I do take a loss. Then using that money to replace them with ones I personally find more appealing wether they be the same grade or not. I may have to put more money with what I get to buy the new ones.  Not really upgrading. More like replacing some problem coins I should have never bought. I got in to big of a hurry when I first started. 

Edited by Hoghead515

Sorry if I missed this but does GC charge the seller a flat fee, not counting the addons, like 10%? If they do you'd be just as well off l listing these on ebay. As long as you're under $600 I don't think you have to pay taxes. Maybe? And you can make a couple bucks on shipping, literally. 

Wouldn't hurt to list them at a fair price and see if they sell, if you're not in a hurry. Or you could try listing them here in the BST section. Nothing to loose in either case.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling

On 12/23/2022 at 9:06 PM, Hoghead515 said:

My problem is when I first started putting my set together I bought some very ugly toned coins I find as eye sores now. That was before I learned to have patience and pick ones I really like. I plan on selling them for whatever I can get out of them even if I do take a loss. Then using that money to replace them with ones I personally find more appealing wether they be the same grade or not. I may have to put more money with what I get to buy the new ones.  Not really upgrading. More like replacing some problem coins I should have never bought. I got in to big of a hurry when I first started. 

Happens to all of us in ANY hobby we pursue, Hog ! (thumbsu

I'm into astronomy and like most beginners, I went out and bought a bunch of eyepieces with every possible focal length.  But while observing, you do 95% of your observing with 2 or 3 eyepieces, not 10 or 12.

I've got eyepieces I haven't used since the 1990's !!! xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969