• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Sanfrancisco Bullion Silver Eagle Dollars?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2022 at 11:47 AM, Errorists said:

Where is the S mint mark located?

I hope I am saying this right.  If your slab reads (S) it denotes a dollar that emanates from Philadelphia and, for reasons I no longer recall, was minted in San Francisco, w/o the customary mint mark.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:21 PM, VKurtB said:

(S) means it was struck at San Francisco without any mintmark. 

This means it was hit by a cable car full of tourists, rather than struck at the San Francisco Mint building.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:27 PM, RWB said:

This means it was hit by a cable car full of tourists, rather than struck at the San Francisco Mint building.

Could be, I suppose. Nobody specifically said the Mint, did they?

On 12/12/2022 at 6:15 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I hope I am saying this right.  If your slab reads (S) it denotes a dollar that emanates from Philadelphia and, for reasons I no longer recall, was minted in San Francisco, w/o the customary mint mark.

Wait what? So the mint mark should be P/S .

On 12/12/2022 at 9:45 PM, Errorists said:

Wait what? So the mint mark should be P/S .

It's another TPG marketing gimmick.  An imaginary mintmark that isn't there, basically what the prior posts stated where it was struck at SF, but no MM was added.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:06 PM, World Colonial said:

It's another TPG marketing gimmick.  An imaginary mintmark that isn't there, basically what the prior posts stated where it was struck at SF, but no MM was added.

So someone forgot to stamp the die with an S ? 

On 12/12/2022 at 10:13 PM, Errorists said:

No, US Mint did not forget.

I don't remember the specifics, but it's been discussed here and other coin forums.

My recollection is that the TPG decided to designate an (S) "mintmark" on the label since these coins were struck in SF.  To obtain the (S), the submitter had to submit a "monster box" of 500 in the original box shipped from the Mint.

Something like this.

I've never checked if this (S) "mint" is included in registry sets.  It's the only "collecting" reason I can come up with why anyone would care.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:13 PM, Errorists said:

No, it was intentional. All bullion strikes are unmintmarked, regardless of where they are made. Only numismatic strikes get mint marks. 

On 12/13/2022 at 7:20 AM, Errorists said:

Dubbed the 2021 type 1 & type 2 American Silver Eagle dollar no S coins. Are the 2022's the same as the 2021's?

There are only Type 2 in 2022 and thereafter. It’s a replacement of Type 1, not an addition. You really lack ANY basic information, don’t you? I find it really frustrating to deal with people like that. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/13/2022 at 9:22 AM, VKurtB said:

There are only Type 2 in 2022 and thereafter. It’s a replacement of Type 1, not an addition. You really lack ANY basic information, don’t you? I find it really frustrating to deal with people like that. 

People come here to learn things not to be chastised or diminished by YOU. Your snidely remarks and questions are off topic. I bet your kids were traumatized by you growing up.

Edited by Errorists

On 12/13/2022 at 10:50 AM, Errorists said:

People come here to learn things not to be chastised or diminished by YOU. Your snidely remarks and questions are off topic. I bet your kids were traumatized by you growing up.

Folks with so little knowledge of basics should not attempt to come across as knowledgeable, which you do here, every time you post. I have 59 years experience, to flip to 60 in a few weeks. Look, I’m not expecting much at all, merely the most minimalistic basic knowledge, a bar which you insist on tripping over. 

Edited by VKurtB