• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reference to post about ANA on another site

6 posts in this topic

Rod Gillis. I agree with him. The dark days of malfeasance among the Board members is an obsolete story. People need to keep up. That said, every Board since I first joined in 1993 has had at least two insufferable jerks on it, and sometimes the President was one. 

The late great John Eshbach refused to ever become a Life Member for that very reason - so that he could leave if the jerk level got to 5. 

On 12/15/2022 at 6:54 PM, bstrauss3 said:

And sometimes, the jerk you saw was fogging the mirror, eh Kurt?

How many accounts do you need? Why don’t you stop by at the ANA table at FUN next month? I’ll be manning the table for the ANA. Paid staff will, or should be, selling tables for Phoenix and Pittsburgh. 

Truly dude, I’m not the one with a vanity website or two. Pot, kettle. 

Edited by VKurtB

I am an ANA member.  I don't plan on leaving it anytime soon.

However, I've met more than a few members who are a little ambivalent about our hobby's main org.

A decades-long member once wrote to me that he thought the ANA was, quote: "less than responsive to anyone who is not a youth, or who is not part of a clique which is known to the those in charge. I just use it for library purposes, usually.  ...the ANA is mostly a vehicle for coin and currency dealers and major auction houses to further their private financial interests in this hobby."

There ARE two main factions in the ANA - the dealers, who THINK they should be in charge of everything, but thankfully are not, and collectors with an educational agenda, who ACTUALLY should be in charge of everything. The ANA has a VERY tight education mandate, NOT to be a dealer trade organization. We have the PNG for that. EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION.  The ANA will never apologize for that emphasis. Notice I did not say ADVOCACY. The ANA doesn’t do ADVOCACY, due to the strongly worded advice of its legal beagles.