• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 D what happened to this coin.

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyoneA2A68BA4-7331-4D2A-AB38-32490C09A560.thumb.jpeg.dff6be4d89b7cfc8d3954b23dc74c2ba.jpeg9E29FF6A-D02F-441B-A827-4DBFC235FA0E.thumb.jpeg.1562a8b7bda5fcdb52dc15422261074e.jpeg447D15CE-E486-45A9-9281-25A4485DEBF7.thumb.jpeg.5dbf2a4f6da959ee9b516d31084a87c1.jpegA2A68BA4-7331-4D2A-AB38-32490C09A560.thumb.jpeg.dff6be4d89b7cfc8d3954b23dc74c2ba.jpeg

This 62 D is concave on obverse, on reverse shows repeated striking, how could this happen without causing severe damage to obverse? It’s seems obvious it happened during minting.

On 12/8/2022 at 11:15 AM, Greenstang said:

PMD, Impossible for that to happen during the minting. It has been damaged after it was struck. Exactly how it happened doesn’t really matter as damage is damage.

I’m not contradicting you to be a know it all, but I believe it does matter. Some of the damage is from circulation, it’s obvious, but for this to happen to any kind of precious metal or even chrome alloy. It would have had to be under extreme pressure. Just like the minting process. So someone would’ve had to make an exactly produce an obverse nd reverse die for 1962 D. It looks soft and mushy. This could not of happen without affecting the obverse without using extreme pressure. Anyone else want to chime in feel free. 

On 12/8/2022 at 12:35 PM, Sandon said:

It's pretty obvious to me how this likely happened.  The obverse of the coin was lying obverse up on a hard, rough roadway pavement, likely the type of asphalt paving that is mixed with stones. The coin was run over by one or more motor vehicles.  The soft rubber tires yielded enough to the harder coin metal so that the obverse detail wasn't much affected, but the pressure from the weight of the vehicle against the hard surface bent the coin slightly toward the obverse. The road surface and any dirt or grit lying on it severely damaged the reverse of the coin, and embedded traces of the road material such as asphalt into it.  The damage also made the coin more susceptible to corrosion. As a result, the reverse shows severe damage, flattening, and embedded foreign matter and/or corrosion. 

A 1962-D cent is composed of 95% copper alloy, with the remaining 5% being a mixture of zinc and tin, or if made later that year, just zinc. It doesn't contain any precious metal or chrome!  Please read the "Redbook". 

At least one of our contributors, @EagleRJO, collects these "parking lot" or "roadkill" coins for fun. Perhaps he can confirm what I've said and contribute some similar photos.

I haven’t gotten a red book yet, my son wants to get it for Christmas for me. I’ll hit eagle when I get more time. Thank you

On 12/8/2022 at 12:57 PM, RWB said:

A more precise question might be : "What didn't happen to this coin?"

LOL 😂 

@Greenstang is correct. To the numismatic hobby, and yes, it does have a set of standards, what caused damage REALLY DOES NOT MATTER. Damage is damage. Is there some other field that cares what caused the damage? There might be. Forensic science perhaps. But it’s not this field. 

Edited by VKurtB