• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error penny ?

3 posts in this topic

If I could get some options.... The ear  looks to be on the side of his jaw... Being I'm new at this want to make sure my eyes are not playing tricks on me... Do you all think this is a ear on side of face?

IMG_20221203_103537810.jpg

Nah. I think that's a contact ding (like the kind pennies get in parking lots) and the location and shape are suggesting an ear canal. If such a thing happened at the mint, it would have become famous decades ago.

This is simply a 1964-D cent that was damaged by a punch or other hard object.  Note how metal was displaced around the punch mark. There are also other nicks and scrapes on the coin. It's exactly the opposite of a coin that interests collectors. Lincoln's ear is where it has been located since 1909. It and the rest of Lincoln's head appear larger than they do in years after 1968 due to the mint's prolonged use of a worn master die that dated from 1919.

To learn about what constitutes a mint error, go to the NGC home page and enter "mint errors" in the search box.  The search will return a series of articles on the NGC website about mint errors, including "Learn Grading--What is a Mint Error", parts 1 through 4.  There are other websites that deal with mint errors and related die varieties, such as "error-ref.com" and "doubleddie.com".