• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error coins and what to look for
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have a small handful of ungraded error coins and I’ve been trying to research what error coins are worth trying to get graded if any all are circulated. Like is the A on this being filled an error or the fact that the AM are touching 

image.thumb.jpg.05c63b693762d7da980a6830dafbb6f4.jpg

As with your three Lincolns in your other thread this quarter is also not an error coin, just a well circulated coin struck from worn out dies.  If you want to search for errors you have to know what to look for, just finding something you don't recognize is not a good way to find error coins.   I suggest that you visit the website error-ref.com, read and study the sections on die errors, planchet errors, and striking errors.   That will give you a decent start to know what to look for in the future.

I see nothing about your coin from the photo you provided, which is somewhat too bright, that would qualify it as a collectible mint error or die variety. The bases of the "A" and "M" on each of the several types of reverses used on Washington quarters from 1932-1998 all touch or nearly touch. Yours appears to be a copper nickel clad coin of 1965-98, on which I believe they always touch.  There does appear to be a small die chip at the bottom of the first "A" in "AMERICA".  Die chips are generally regarded by collectors as examples of poor quality control at the mint (worn dies) rather than as mint errors and command little or no premium from collectors.

From what sources did you obtain your information that your coins qualified as desirable mint errors? We can guide you to appropriate print and online sources, such as the error-ref.com site that @Coinbuf  recommended.  You may also wish to go the NGC home page (ngccoin.com) and type "mint errors" in the search bar, which will return a series of articles on mint errors and die varieties. We can more readily assist someone who has some knowledge of the subject matter.

Circulation wear and damage are not errors. An error can only occur during the striking of the coin. You are going to have to do some research into how coins are produced at the mint and study what an actual error is. Coinbuf suggested a good site in  error-ref.com and also wexlers is another good site. A true error is not that easy to find in circulation, you may have to search thousands of coins to find one.

On 11/17/2022 at 6:16 AM, Greenstang said:

Circulation wear and damage are not errors. An error can only occur during the striking of the coin. You are going to have to do some research into how coins are produced at the mint and study what an actual error is. Coinbuf suggested a good site in  error-ref.com and also wexlers is another good site. A true error is not that easy to find in circulation, you may have to search thousands of coins to find one.

Or millions. Here’s the essential problem: if “everything” is an error, then truly “nothing” is. That’s not just a linguistic trick; it’s a factual truth. 

Edited by VKurtB