• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade of Morgan

6 posts in this topic

Attached is a raw 1898-O Morgan I have in-hand which I am trying to grade. Looks like a near date with the mark set high variety.  I don't see any wear, particularly at hight points like the hair/cap on the obv or the eagles breast/head on the rev so it looks like a mint state coin.

There is a good amount of bag marks and chatter, particularly on the face of Liberty, which is a no-go for higher grade Morgans.  So, I'm thinking like an MS62 or possibly an MS63 at best.  Thoughts?

1898-O Morgan Obv.jpg

1898-O Morgan Rev.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Very baggy, great strike, hard to tell but the breast feathers look to have some broken luster, probably not enough to go AU.   That ghosted line around the bottom of the bust is somewhat weird looking.   Overall, I would grade it MS62 from these photos but would not be surprised with anything from AU58 to MS63.

Thanks, it does seem to have a lot of chatter with the coin in-hand which may not present well with the pics. Much cleaner rev, but that's not the money side. And that is a NGC style similar slab I use for raw coins so everything fits together in the collection.  I use either slabs or capsules.

On 11/15/2022 at 12:48 PM, Coinbuf said:

Very baggy, great strike, hard to tell but the breast feathers look to have some broken luster, probably not enough to go AU.   That ghosted line around the bottom of the bust is somewhat weird looking.   Overall, I would grade it MS62 from these photos but would not be surprised with anything from AU58 to MS63.

The shadow or ghosted like area below the bust is unusual, and that is how it looks in hand so it's not just the lighting. On the eagle's breast those are very frosty areas, with somewhat of a crystalline look, that often show up as a darker area in pics.