• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Your Viewing Pleasure: 1958 Aussie Proof Set

45 posts in this topic

Nice, how do you get photos like that (the position of the coins)?

Hmmm,I like the red proof penny the best, it also seems to be the most expensive coin of the set. Shame that there's no half penny in it, I'll bet that the bronze coins are the best sellers and that this set is not for your personal collection. wink.gif

What are these lines on the obverse of the threepence and sixpence?

Aussies are fanatics for red copper.

They're just little lines of toning.

Aussies are fanatics for red copper.

Yep, from the original bags the coins were issued in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you please explain this to me? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll bet that ... this set is not for your personal collection. wink.gif

You're right about that!

When something like this passes through my hands I always have mixed feeling about letting it go. The set is really very attractive, almost perfectly matched and unquestionably original. It's quite scarce with 1,500 made, from a real country and made well before our current age of mass produced rarities.

However, the set is not cheap and it lies outside of my true collecting interests. Since it does not represent the best use of my collecting dollars selling it is the right choice.

Thanks for noticing the pictures, I've been working to get my photography of white coins up to snuff.

a "real country"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm afraid to ask what a not real country is. Please don't respond.

a "real country"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm afraid to ask what a not real country is. Please don't respond.

Sorry, I had to respond.

A real country as I've used the term is one that issues it's coins primarly for commerce with just a few commemoratives or special strikes each year. It's also helpful if the topic of the commemorative coins has something to do with the issuing country.

A fake country is one that issues coins almost exclusively for sale to collectors. Examples of fake countries are the Isle of Man, Gibraltar, Solomon Islands and Liberia. They mints stuff like the Harry Potter Crown, Liberian JFK dollar or the Bob Marley gold coins. Even though many of these individual coins are lower mintage than my Aussie proof set the sheer volume of different issues is overwhelming.

See, that wasn't so bad! You probably though I was just going to dis France.

Whew! Glad to hear your definition of real country! Very numistmatic of you. Let's hope whats-his-name doesn't see this thread as I'm sure he has a broader definition.

Can you please explain this to me? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yep. The set was originally housed in old, very brittle baggies. I used to get the Matte PF Lincolns in these years ago. I asume this was the original way they were issued.

Whew! Glad to hear your definition of real country! Very numistmatic of you. Let's hope whats-his-name doesn't see this thread as I'm sure he has a broader definition.

James had a very good definition of real/loser countries. However, there are other loser countries, like those whose coins are so unloved that even gem examples are unwanted - many African nations fall into this category.

Outside of numismatics, loser country refers to france.

I'll have you know I've joined a French forum (metal detecting, meteorites, ancient coins, and of course non-stop joking like here) so you will be seeing me less here. boo.gif

I'll have you know I've joined a French forum (metal detecting, meteorites, ancient coins, and of course non-stop joking like here) so you will be seeing me less here. boo.gif

I guess there are some good things about the french. boo.gif

They're a lot nicer than you! boo.gif

When you're that wimpy, you have to be nice to everyone. boo.gif

They're not wimpy. Most of these guys could kick your arse. There's this one Sicilian French guy in Marseille would kill you if I asked. I think I will. boo.gif

They're not wimpy. Most of these guys could kick your arse. There's this one Sicilian French guy in Marseille would kill you if I asked. I think I will. boo.gif

I'm not scared. I'll just yell BOO and he'll throw his hands up, pee his pants, and run away.

I'm not scared. I'll just yell BOO and he'll throw his hands up, pee his pants, and run away.

You're making me mad. sumo.gif I'm going to spend $1,000 on French Mint products at ANA and score with a French babe (show her around SF, etc). Then I'll ask if there's anyway I can make a donation to the French National Treasury. That'll show ya! boo.gif

You're making me mad. sumo.gif I'm going to spend $1,000 on French Mint products at ANA and score with a French babe (show her around SF, etc). Then I'll ask if there's anyway I can make a donation to the French National Treasury. That'll show ya! boo.gif

Well, if you score with the french babe, I guess you've inflicted enough punishment on the french for a while.

Well, if you score with the french babe, I guess you've inflicted enough punishment on the french for a while.

I've noticed your and Spiny's "humor" is very similar. a)unfunny to the extreme and b) makes me want to throw heavy objects at you.

I've noticed your and Spiny's "humor" is very similar. a)unfunny to the extreme and b) makes me want to throw heavy objects at you.

Just because I like you, I'll leave you alone for the next (however long the movie is + time it takes me to pick up my car from the detailing place). thumbsup2.gif

Just because I like you, I'll leave you alone for the next (however long the movie is + time it takes me to pick up my car from the detailing place). thumbsup2.gif

One can always dream that the movie is five years long and the car is being detailed in Timbuktu. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

One can always dream that the movie is five years long and the car is being detailed in Timbuktu. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

That wasn't a very nice thing to say, TJ! 893whatthe.gif

Just for that, I'm going to give Thing your limited edition four DVD set, autographed and numbered, Spiny production of...

dws2fr.jpg

sumo.gif

He was just being nice, TJ. He really meant France. yeahok.gif

Hey, France does a great world service. Keeps England from falling into the mid-Atlantic ridge. Why, you ask? ................... Same reason Texas is still on the map. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Seriously though, France was a great ally during our first 100 years as a country. They saved our butts in the Revolutionary war.