• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 D Nina Otero-warren found in bank roll

7 posts in this topic

It looks like damage, to me. Keep in mind that these coins go through bins, bags, and counting machines, before they ever get put into rolls. That's a lot of opportunity to contact other coins, etc.

The scrapes on the reverse in your first three photos are clearly damage from a coin counting or roll wrapping machine, which frequently occur during the distribution process.  The large nick on Washington's cheek and the other obverse nicks and scratches are likely damage the coin incurred in a mint bag from coin-to-coin contact. It's conceivable that the large nick is a "strike through" from scrap on the die, but such an impression is generally shallower, and I think I see displaced metal along its sides, which indicate that it was created after the coin was struck.  

On 11/14/2022 at 8:25 AM, Mrph12 said:

Would this be a struck-through error? Can someone tell me what happened here? 9_9

Thanks

Sun Nov 13 18-31-20.jpg

Sun Nov 13 18-18-55.jpg

no 1.jpg

Sun Nov 13 18-41-06.jpg

no 2.jpg

Do you have one from a set to do a “side by side”? I find that usually helps.