• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2005 Lincoln cent. Close AM?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2022 at 7:10 PM, Greenstang said:

All 2005 P and D mint are CAM. It is the S mint that is a WAM. There are no varieties.

I have shown this graph before. Keep it in your file for future reference

CAM & WAM.jpg

I took a screen shot of it if you dont mind @Greenstang  Be very handy to have when Im looking through change. 

On 11/12/2022 at 7:10 PM, Greenstang said:

All 2005 P and D mint are CAM. It is the S mint that is a WAM. There are no varieties.

I have shown this graph before. Keep it in your file for future reference

CAM & WAM.jpg

@GreenstangThanks for sharing. I don't collect cents, but I still find stuff like the chart you posted interesting. There are a very limited number of years with varieties, with that data not scattered. To me that would suggest there are particular reasons for that grouped data such as changes to the coin alloys, die making process, machines being used, etc.  Did any of that occur to explain the grouped varieties?

Did any of that occur to explain the grouped varieties?

From what I understand, during the end of the 1992 run of cents, the Reverse dies wore out so instead of producing new dies, the new CAM reverses from 1993 were used to finish the run. This would explain the rarity of a 1992 CAM. As far as the 1998,1999 & 2000 varieties, I can only guess that a wrong reverse die was used for a run. or two. This might explain the fact they are more common.

Perhaps someone else may have a better answer.

They seem to be elusive in my neck of the woods. Ive went through thousands of cents and Im still yet to find one. I never knew which years so I checked all of the Lincoln Memorials from 92 and up. That chart will help me know which ones to focus on. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 11/13/2022 at 9:10 AM, Greenstang said:

Perhaps someone else may have a better answer.

Very well explained Greenstang.  I believe you hit the nail on the head in my humble opinion.  I can attest that I have found more 1998 and 2000 WAM's that I've lost count.  However, still looking for the 1999 WAM and of course, the holy grail '92 CAM.  My luck would probably be to find one ('92 CAM) in a parking lot that has been run over a gazillion times.  I'd still take it though!😁