• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coming Next Week: Newman Numismatic Portal Online Presentations!

12 posts in this topic

I am giving a talk at the Newman Numismatic Portal Symposium, as are MANY other speakers.  This takes place on the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday before Thanksgiving.

Lots of topics.   Perhaps you should consider attending...

Here is the whole schedule for the event

Here is the Zoom link to my talk on South Korean coins, Saturday November 19th at 10:00 am Eastern (9:00 am Central) in the USA: https://nnpsymposium.live/lovmo354

Mark Lovmo.jpg

Edited by mlovmo

For those not aware of it, the Eric P. Newman Numismatic Educational Foundation sponsors the Newman Numismatic Portal housed at Washington University of St. Louis. NNP is a completely free repository for information relating to American numismatics (and some foreign). All the assets are digital and open to anyone. The Foundation supports digitization work at several sites, sponsors author projects, symposia, and encourages numismatic communication and research.

(I don't know about the hot dogs -- not sure what they'll be like after emailing....)

Why wasn't North Korea invited?  I'd've liked to hear some Point - Counterpoint stuff. Surely, they can suspend the rocket launches and saber-rattling for one day.

On 11/11/2022 at 4:24 PM, RWB said:

For those not aware of it, the Eric P. Newman Numismatic Educational Foundation sponsors the Newman Numismatic Portal housed at Washington University of St. Louis. NNP is a completely free repository for information relating to American numismatics (and some foreign). All the assets are digital and open to anyone. The Foundation supports digitization work at several sites, sponsors author projects, symposia, and encourages numismatic communication and research.

Yes, the NNP was very helpful to me during the research phase of my book.  It was especially helpful in finding the actual mintages of South Korea's first coins (the "hwan" denominated coins), as they were minted at Philadelphia, (South Korea's coins were minted along with four other countries' coins in the 1959-1960 calendar years at Philadelphia - and MAY have been responsible for the 1960 "Large Date/Small Date" Lincolns, according to Tom DeLorey).  The coin catalogs never did have correct total mintages for these South Korean coins, nor the mintages for these coins broken down by calendar year at the U.S. Mint.  But the figures were in the "Annual Report of the Director of the Mint," openly available for anyone to access!  The Korean coin catalogs have NEVER listed mintages for these coins, so when my book came out, this info came as a major surprise to collectors and dealers in Korea.

Edited by mlovmo

On 11/11/2022 at 11:00 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Why wasn't North Korea invited?  I'd've liked to hear some Point - Counterpoint stuff. Surely, they can suspend the rocket launches and saber-rattling for one day.

I'll take a pass on DPRK (North Korea) coins.  I am profoundly uninterested in them.  They're mostly commemorative dross; the products of emission diarrhea by a state that is trying to get Euros and USD to fund its government and its agendas.  Others can like them, that's fine by me...

The presentations cover a much wider range of topics this time, it's not so U.S. centric. I'll definitely be in on some of them and catch the rest later when they are added to the NNP. 

EDIT:

I'll be able to catch the Saturday morning presentations live and maybe the last talk of the afternoon on Thursday and Friday.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 11/12/2022 at 6:30 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The presentations cover a much wider range of topics this time, it's not so U.S. centric. I'll definitely be in on some of them and catch the rest later when they are added to the NNP. 

EDIT:

I'll be able to catch the Saturday morning presentations live and maybe the last talk of the afternoon on Thursday and Friday.

I'd really like to have you show up to mine, Mike!