• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1923 $1 dollar MS 64 Delamination
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Would this be a delamination? If not what could be going on in that area between the R and I. Interesting how I go back and check my collected items. Something always new popping up. Lol

20221104_134428.jpg

20221104_120519.jpg

20221104_121547.jpg

20221104_121337.jpg

It's not a MS64 is it? I know nothing about grading, but this coin is beat up. The only thing I know is the grade gets knocked down for every nick,  scratch, and other hits. Besides everything going on with this coin,  I would have not got that grade. (IMOP) interesting ;)

Virtually all circulation strike silver dollars have noticeable marks and abrasions from decades of storage in thousand-coin bags that were piled on top of each other and sometimes thrown around!  Even coins graded MS 67 or better have some such marks, while coins graded "63" or lower are usually quite heavily marked.  The "market grading" used by the grading services (and even the current 7th edition ANA grading guide, of which you may wish to obtain a copy) considers the number, location and severity of marks as only one factor for determining the grade. Other factors the type and intensity of luster, quality of strike, whether the coin is brilliant or dull or attractively or unattractively toned, and its overall "eye appeal". 

Your coin is well struck, has intense brilliant luster, and believe it or not, is not heavily bag marked for a Peace dollar, resulting in a "64" ("Very Choice") grade. (If it were up to me, we would grade coins with adjectives, not numbers, which imply an objective and precise determination of grade, which is impossible!)

The coin has a small, retained lamination (not "delamination", which would mean it had peeled off) that probably doesn't affect its value.  This would be probably considered poor quality control rather than a mint error.  If this is what you find interesting and enjoy collecting, you should do so, as such pieces can often be found without having to pay a premium for them.

On 11/8/2022 at 9:46 AM, Sandon said:

The "market grading" used by the grading services (and even the current 7th edition ANA grading guide, of which you may wish to obtain a copy) considers the number, location and severity of marks as only one factor for determining the grade.

Hoorah!!! Somebody else has read it all the way through. Finally!

By the way, @Hinkle, your 1923 has above average luster compared with many 1923’s. It is likely among the later 1923’s struck (no hard evidence, just a likelihood) because its luster more closely resembles that found in abundance in 1924’s. 

Edited by VKurtB