• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uncirculated grading ms65 - ms69

10 posts in this topic

I've read a 65+ coin must be well struck.  What if very few well struck coins for that yr , mint.

To get ms66 or higher. Luster comes into play then. 

I've got a quarter ms68.  But weak struck on parts.  Other wise beautiful.  

Thanks Charles 

On 11/1/2022 at 10:45 AM, Tim72501 said:

I've read a 65+ coin must be well struck.  What if very few well struck coins for that yr , mint.

To get ms66 or higher. Luster comes into play then. 

Thanks Charles 

Betcha don’t. 

On 11/1/2022 at 11:45 AM, Tim72501 said:

Hmmm ... MS-68 quarter in a TPG holder with a weak strike? A really old one?

Edited by EagleRJO

Pretty sure that 'weakly struck' and 'MS-68' are contradictory bits of information. Not sure if you need a full strike or just a sharp one for 68, but my guess is that requires a full strike.

On 11/1/2022 at 3:52 PM, JKK said:

Pretty sure that 'weakly struck' and 'MS-68' are contradictory bits of information. Not sure if you need a full strike or just a sharp one for 68, but my guess is that requires a full strike.

Other than proof coins and “made for collectors” uncirculated coins, MS68 examples are truly unicorns. They almost don’t exist. With a weak strike, they REALLY don’t exist. 

Just to clarify, the op did not say that his quarter was in a TPG holder nor did he give any info about the date of this mysterious coin.   And while most of the time for a coin to reach MS68 the strike would need to complete and full, under the current market grading scheme I have seen some modern coins with grades that lofty which I would not consider as fully struck.

MS-68 seemed like a pretty definitive number, and thus the question mark with my TPG reference indicative of a query. Man, I have all kinds of trouble telling a 67 apart from a 69 (I'm working on it), let alone pegging an MS-68. Thats why for mint state I try to just put them in a BU, Choice or Gem category for now.

And I thought the TPG's were a little more lenient with strike for older coins like they are with Saints. Or maybe that's just for gold.

Edited by EagleRJO

Sms coins seem to always get a higher grade.   Though not worth nearly as much.

A cherrypicked ms68 is a unicorn.  Let alone a  Proof Like one, From uncirculated roll searches.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:06 AM, Tim72501 said:

Sms coins seem to always get a higher grade.   Though not worth nearly as much.

A cherrypicked ms68 is a unicorn.  Let alone a  Proof Like one, From uncirculated roll searches.

Think a bit about why that is.