• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting 61 year old coin/token. Can anyone tell me the composition?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I found this 61 year old coin/token from our local community. The bank closed in 1971. 

It is 1.54In 39MM across, .08 inches thick, weight is 23gm Reeded edge, Non magnetic somewhat heavy. Appears like clad edge. Obviously drilled for keychain. Anyone recognize the OC mintmark?

IMG-5864.jpg

IMG-5858.jpg

IMG-5855.jpg

IMG-5856.jpg

IMG-5856oc.jpg

Edited by Mr.Bill347

Many of these things are pewter, nickel-silver, copper-nickel, or tin alloys. Yours resembles copper-nickel-- similar composition to a 5-cent coin.

I contacted Osborne Coinage and here’s what they said.

HI William – what a great find! Unfortunately our electronic records don’t go back to 1971. My guess, based on your photos and the condition of the coin, is a nickel silver alloy, especially since it doesn’t look tarnished. When you look at it, is it a silver color? Sometimes it’s hard to tell with pictures, coins are notoriously hard to photograph!

Thank you for contacting us.

Gibson Olpp

Marketing Manager

Osborne Coinage

Osborne Mint

TokensDirect

Van Brook of Lexington

513-681-5424 x 232

800-488-2646

Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2022 6:29 PM
To: Gibson Olpp <olpp_gibson@osbornecoin.com>
Subject: Old OC coin

I came across this 61 year old OC special issue from 1971. Can you tell me the composition on it?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone