• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Show Security For Dealers
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Anybody covering their eyes or face is immediately suspect.  I hope the cops followed up on these people.

Anybody trailing folks like this -- their best ally is their smartphone and taking pics. (thumbsu

Some years ago, at the Sleepy Hollow Coin Show in Tarrytown, New York a Headless Hessian wandered about asking for a dealer named "Ichabod," who was not to be found. When the show opened the next morning, all the gold was missing from every showcase,and the Hessian was not to be found. :)

Edited by RWB

On 10/26/2022 at 5:21 PM, RWB said:

Some years ago, at the Sleepy Hollow Coin Show in Tarrytown, New York a Headless Hessian wandered about asking for a dealer named "Ichabod," who was not to be found. When the show opened the next morning, all the gold was missing from every showcase,and the Hessian was nto to be found. :)

Let the record reflect the sole reason why I do not wish to comment is a selfish desire to avoid getting "Punked" by the likes of you. Ashton Kutcher I can live down; You? Not a chance!  :facepalm:  :roflmao:

On 10/26/2022 at 2:45 PM, Tyrock said:

I've been attending shows in MA and CT for the past year on a regular basis. Recently, the New England area has had organized groups following dealers after they leave the show and waiting for them to leave their car unattended at which point they move in and steal from their car. This recently happened to a dealer leaving a Springfield show. He was hit in CT on the way home while leaving his car unattended at the gas pump.  I've been at two shows recently during which surveillance was done by a gang member in the show. The most recent incident was this past Sunday in MA when a female wearing a burka came in and walked around the bourse floor with her cell phone in her hand. Only her eyes were visible under her style of dress as she was covered from head to toe. She was focused on looking at gold in dealer's cases. When she left a show member followed her to the parking lot and she got into a car driven by a male subject. The car's license plate was covered over. They were observed stopping a few houses down from the show to remove the license plate covering before entering the main road. The other incident involved a female wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses. She was taking photos of dealer's cases with her phone. The police were contacted as the car she got into kept coming by the show. We had people in the parking lot watching for them to return. The police found them and followed their car but lost them. Although they do have their IL license plate number. Just wanted to pass this information along in hopes that it will alert dealers to what is going on. And the two shows I'm talking about were just small club shows, not the bigger events in the area.

Happened in Richmond last week and during the same weekend in North Carolina, they followed the dealer to his home and robbed him. Seems to be happening more and more often. My advice, be armed, be alert, alter your routes and never leave your possessions by themselves if at all possible. Have a buddy with you - even a dog helps. Hopefully they will be able to track your suspects down.

On 10/27/2022 at 6:44 AM, Zebo said:

Happened in Richmond last week and during the same weekend in North Carolina, they followed the dealer to his home and robbed him. Seems to be happening more and more often. My advice, be armed, be alert, alter your routes and never leave your possessions by themselves if at all possible. Have a buddy with you - even a dog helps. Hopefully they will be able to track your suspects down.

Vicious attack gerbils will likely not suffice. Too many states prohibit “self help” of a lead projectile manner. My old state (Pennsylvania) and my new state (Alabama) stand athwart that trend. Both are hard core “stand your ground” states, and in 66 days, Alabama becomes a Constitutional Carry state - no concealed carry permit required. 

On 10/27/2022 at 4:03 PM, VKurtB said:

Vicious attack gerbils will likely not suffice. Too many states prohibit “self help” of a lead projectile manner. My old state (Pennsylvania) and my new state (Alabama) stand athwart that trend. Both are hard core “stand your ground” states, and in 66 days, Alabama becomes a Constitutional Carry state - no concealed carry permit required. 

Were already there. 

Vicious attack gerbils will likely not suffice.... and in 66 days, Alabama becomes a Constitutional Carry state - no concealed carry permit required. 

🐓:  This guy's counting down the days!

Q.A.:  Yup, you wouldn't want to run afoul of him. He looks like he means business!  :baiting:  :whistle:

On 10/27/2022 at 11:22 PM, VKurtB said:

Just to tie this back into numismatics, the Chief Judge for the ANA Exhibits, Joe Boling, is a retired Colonel in the U.S. Army, and he is packing heat at EVERY show where it is legal to do so, which means “not in Illinois” (and a few other gawd-forsaken states).

Can't private security at a show carry ?  Elected officials have armed security.

On 10/28/2022 at 12:21 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Can't private security at a show carry ?  Elected officials have armed security.

I’ve never SEEN a sidearm on security personnel at an Illinois  show (nor New York, nor Maryland), but in virtually every other state, I have. In PA, for example, besides private security, some shows hire armed elected Constables to do security. If they have passed their Constable certification course, which about 2/3 have statewide, they may carry, in uniform or not. 

Edited by VKurtB

...shoot first, ask questions later...ask for a jury trial, ur peers will support u except in NY...

@VKurtB:

Actually, to clarify, on the matter of New York, tho I cannot speak for the entire great sovereign state, I can talk about New York City's 5 boros, generally, and New York County, i.e., Manhattan, specifically. And while I cannot vouch for the intricate dynamics regarding the entire city, I can safely say whether your peers will support you--as reported publicly, for as long as I can remember--is largely dependent on whether you are a member in good standing of the Black or Hispanic communities, in the Bronx, nowhere else, tho Brooklyn could be viewed as a close second, "peer-support" boro.  You cannot get a conclusive response when you're talking about the other three boroughs where anything goes.

On 10/28/2022 at 11:19 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB:

Actually, to clarify, on the matter of New York, tho I cannot speak for the entire great sovereign state, I can talk about New York City's 5 boros, generally, and New York County, i.e., Manhattan, specifically. And while I cannot vouch for the intricate dynamics regarding the entire city, I can safely say whether your peers will support you--as reported publicly, for as long as I can remember--is largely dependent on whether you are a member in good standing of the Black or Hispanic communities, in the Bronx, nowhere else, tho Brooklyn could be viewed as a close second, "peer-support" boro.  You cannot get a conclusive response when you're talking about the other three boroughs where anything goes.

insufficiently_thoughtful_person DA’s. No other explanation needed. 

On 10/29/2022 at 11:58 AM, VKurtB said:

insufficiently_thoughtful_person DA’s. No other explanation needed. 

...that n all the weirdos that live there, cant even think for their selves, just look at the i_t_p's they elect...nuf said....

On 10/29/2022 at 8:41 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓:  How did z know we voted?...

Q.A.:  No way Kurt left the Commonwealth two years ago!...

🤔

I don’t even get to play in the Pennsylvania election. The Alabama one is as decided as anything ever gets. 

On 10/29/2022 at 9:14 PM, VKurtB said:

And besides, it’s not “shoot first and ask questions later” when faced with deadly force from an assailant. Not if I’m packing. It’s shoot first and call the coroner second. 

I’ve taken PA state designed “active shooter” training in recent years, and NRA designed training literally for over 50 years now. I am a deadly accurate shot, with both handguns and rifles. I was a biathlete as a younger man. 

X-country skis are pretty useless in Alabama. But so are snow shovels, and my cardiologist suggested I get away from those. Two years now in Alabama and my ascending aortic aneurysm hasn’t grown a millimeter. 

...good to know if need a buddy in my foxhole...did the same with bout everything in US military arsenal, qualify expert...really liked the .338 lapua at SOTIC...but have to admit using the 12 ga trench gun at close range was the most fun...if everyone in NY carried one there be no crime...prob never need/use ur skis in the big apple....

On 10/29/2022 at 9:00 PM, zadok said:

...good to know if need a buddy in my foxhole...did the same with bout everything in US military arsenal, qualify expert...really liked the .338 lapua at SOTIC...but have to admit using the 12 ga trench gun at close range was the most fun...if everyone in NY carried one there be no crime...prob never need/use ur skis in the big apple....

I own one shotgun, won by raffle at a Friends of the NRA dinner in Reading, PA, but aside from test firing it just to know how it feels, I’ve never fired it for a purpose. Same with a .58 caliber flintlock. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/29/2022 at 10:06 PM, VKurtB said:

I own one shotgun, won by raffle at a Friends of the NRA dinner in Reading, PA, but aside from test firing it just to know how it feels, I’ve never fired it for a purpose. Same with a .58 caliber flintlock. 

...renaissance man, ahead of ur times, only matter of time till u prob going need them, best stock up on ammo n lead...maybe few extra flints as well....

On 10/29/2022 at 9:13 PM, zadok said:

...renaissance man, ahead of ur times, only matter of time till u prob going need them, best stock up on ammo n lead...maybe few extra flints as well....

The flintlock is a simply beautiful piece of art, with finely carved wood and an octagonal barrel. Black powder is fun to play with for magic tricks. 

On 10/29/2022 at 10:13 PM, zadok said:

Im not gonna go into very many details but If anything ever happens I could probably do pretty good for a while. 

On 10/29/2022 at 10:22 PM, VKurtB said:

The flintlock is a simply beautiful piece of art, with finely carved wood and an octagonal barrel. Black powder is fun to play with for magic tricks. 

I enjoy shooting old flintlocks. I just hate cleaning them afterwards. I usually run a few patches through the barrel about every fourth shot. Seems to help the accuracy. 

On 10/30/2022 at 12:06 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I enjoy shooting old flintlocks. I just hate cleaning them afterwards. I usually run a few patches through the barrel about every fourth shot. Seems to help the accuracy. 

I hear ya’! Cleaning a flintlock is about as much of a pain in the butt as anything gets. 

On 10/30/2022 at 12:03 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im not gonna go into very many details but If anything ever happens I could probably do pretty good for a while. 

Without my prescription meds, if civilization goes off the rails, I’ve only got about a week regardless. I’ll have a week to help loved ones. 

On 10/30/2022 at 1:19 PM, VKurtB said:

Without my prescription meds, if civilization goes off the rails, I’ve only got about a week regardless. I’ll have a week to help loved ones. 

You worry too much.  Haven't you heard?  Nothing happens without my knowledge and consent.  :makepoint:  :roflmao:

On 10/30/2022 at 12:21 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

You worry too much.  Haven't you heard?  Nothing happens without my knowledge and consent.  :makepoint:  :roflmao:

More than you know. If the civilization breaks down, it can’t all happen at once. There are stages. New York City and Arab, Alabama will NOT coincide. One or the other will collapse well before the other. Whatever, it’s all a VERRRRY low, but non-zero, probability. As long as the Russia - Ukraine thing goes on, there is SOME probability of a global nuclear disaster.