• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Star Coin

3 posts in this topic

I have an NGC Morgan Dollar in a NGC Star designation. The coin is listed PL, though it appears pretty strongly DPL in testing and according to an old Heritage description of the coin from a 12 year ago. It also seems to beat the grade currently on the holder. It did CAC when submitting to them as well.

My problem and question is this. If I send the coin in for review, do I jeopardize the star designation in a worse case scenario where the coin grade and designation do not change? Is there any way to protect the Star and still have the PL reviewed as well as the grade? The case has several scratches on it at this point and I need a new holder anyway, but I'm concerned about the loss of the star designation. Any guidance would help.

Thank you.

IMG_0371 2.png

• Administrator

The NGC Star designation denotes a coin has exceptional eye appeal. While it shouldn't change or be removed on a regrade, due to the subjectivity of NGC Stars, they are not guaranteed under the NGC Guarantee. So, technically it could be removed, but likely won't be.

Paul