• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PF 70 Pricing
1 1

45 posts in this topic

QA, I think you posted in the wrong thread.

GoldFinger, modern coins are struck with a much higher force/energy than older coins (including a much higher production rate using modern machinery), particularly when compared to older bullion coins. I have seen a table with these force/energy comparisons which I think is around somewhere and I will try to find that and post it so you have that for the future. Attached is just one example showing a 1910-D Saint and a 2021 Gold Eagle with both being MS/BU grade and having the same picture resolution. Zoom in and compare the upper body and area around the head on the obverse for example. The difference is striking (pun intended). :grin: 

$20 1910-D Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle AU - $2,031 Apmex.jpg

2021 1-oz American Gold Eagle Coin Type-1 BU Apmex.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/26/2022 at 12:21 PM, EagleRJO said:

GoldFinger, modern coins are struck with a much higher force/energy than older coins (including a much higher production rate using modern machinery), particularly when compared to older bullion coins. I have seen a table with these force/energy comparisons which I think is around somewhere and I will try to find that and post it so you have that for the future.

Please post it. (thumbsu

I thought that the 2009 UHR was struck with 65 metric tons of pressure; the MCMVII HR and the 1907 UHR were each struck I believe with 170 tons of pressure on the medal press.

Roger's books have the details but I'm away from them right now. :)

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Tons is just the weight, which is only part of a strike. For older screw presses you might compare pressure or pounds/tons per square inch. For more modern equipment you need to compare energy imparted to a coin which is a function of both weight and speed or velocity which is basic physics. While present day equipment may not have as much force/weight as it did in the early 1900's, it is relatively comparable but operates at a much higher speed or velocity imparting a much greater amount of energy to a coin which determines the effectiveness of a strike.

Think of ancient times when they would use a large heavy hammer to strike the dies. If a kid who could barely lift the hammer weakly hit the die with that hammer it would be a very weak strike. But if a large strong man (or woman as the case may be these days :grin:) swung the same heavy hammer hard at the dies it would produce a much sharper strike. Same weight but significantly different velocity and thus energy imparted to the coin.

Edited by EagleRJO

Well they sure didn't have modern CNC machines to cut the dies for that 1910 coin, so yea I think that would account for some greater detail of modern coins also in addition to there being more energy of the strike.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/28/2022 at 9:03 AM, J P M said:

In the old days weren't the dies engraved by hand and now days done by machine ? That would also change the look a bit. 

Oh yeah....the 2009 UHR came with a booklet detailing how they created it with lasers and CNC and all that new stuff.

I have extras of that booklet, if any of my friends here want one PM me and I'd be happy to send you one. (thumbsu

On 10/28/2022 at 9:03 AM, J P M said:

In the old days weren't the dies engraved by hand 

The Janvier lathe basically "shrunk" an individual's engravings to a much smaller size.  The engravers couldn't produce quality and size necessary to "fit" on a coin.

Reminds me of that guy that Fonzie used to help Ritchie get a fake ID in Year 1 or Year 2 of "Happy Days"....engraved and wrote so small that nobody could read the letterings without a magnifying glass ! xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Bottom line is that with modern machinery you get greater detail and a better strike with more energy, and why I looked at adding the more modern gold eagles first. Next is probably to add some Indian head half eagles as I just love the way they look and the incuse design.

[Tangential rant... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the 2016 Centennial Winged Liberty "Mercury" 1/10 Troy oz. gold coin. Then I opened the parcel in mint-condition OGP. STRIKE 1: My first impression: "You got beat!"  (Where's the detail?)  STRIKE 2:  Ohhh, it's a "business strike!"  (What's that?) I put the cover back on the box and vowed I would never take a look at it again.  Then a member decided to inaugurate a Gold thread. Ricky [ 🐓 ] stood up, and I ruffled his feathers: U.S. gold only! He sat! back down. As the photos on that thread started coming in, it suddenly occurred to me, hey, why not post that new Mercury?  So I posted it. Today, I checked the latest posts and scrolled back to mine. LIKES! A bunch of them!  From members I thought were my friends!  STRIKE 3.  I'm out.]  :facepalm:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Minor die polishing.

On 10/28/2022 at 6:47 PM, EagleRJO said:

QA I'm worried about you interacting with roosters again. Why not get some real ones? [the gold types, not the ones that wake you up at the crack of dawn 😀]

I think Quintus has a few of the gold ones Jo.

On 10/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, EagleRJO said:

The numbers I was seeing in the $50 to $75 range for this coin were from various sold auctions which appear to be generally in line with the UCoin avg pricing.

Interesting

Keep in mind those numbers were for lower grade proof coins or raw ones where you have to expect lower PF numbers. You can get wild jumps in pricing as you approach a PF-70, and there just isn't enough data from what I could find to really tell.