• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof Lincoln Pennies

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Mine is a true "Newbie" question - even though I have posted questions before.  I'm not a penny expert, and who wants to fake a no value coin?

I found a bunch of proof pennies at a coin store today and made an offer for the whole lot.  But I found 2 pennies that have this weird 'halo' (for lack of a better term) on the 1970-S's.  I did not see the same thing on any others - just those 2.  They look kind of cool, but what is that 'halo'?  (Also looks like Lincoln got shot again!)  The backs of the coins look normal.

image.thumb.jpeg.fa0a844ebf3ccb1385e585571af42628.jpeg

Second question: Many of the pennies were corroded and the zinc(?) or green corrosion was showing.  What causes that kind of corrosion?  Pictured is the worst one.  Is this corrosion "cancerous?  If I stored them in a roll with good coins - will they corrode the others (electrolysis of some sort)?

image.thumb.jpeg.66ac3a2d9acae3f7ce1269b1973d677b.jpeg

It's amazing the faults you find when you photograph something!  (Is this the government's fault?)

Lemme know if you have time.  

God Bless,

Chris

This is "toning" (formerly called tarnish or oxidation) that I've seen form on proof cents of this vintage, including pieces still housed in mint sealed proof sets.  They are genuine and would be considered "red and brown" instead of full "red".  (When severe this toning could be viewed as corrosion or environmental damage.) Copper coins are highly susceptible to this.  While this toning can form because of contaminants on the coins from the minting process, it helps to store coins in a dry (low humidity) environment.

Both of the situations in your op are the result of improper storage.   first off the 70's coins the halo can come from the coins having been stored in a coin album or folder and the album has produced the haze on the coin.   I have seen on a few occasions where the use of restoration; by someone very skilled in restoration techniques; the haze removed and the coins returned to almost pristine condition.   But usually that haze has eaten into the proof surface and an attempt to remove it leaves the surface of the coin damaged.   The corrosion spot is the result of some contaminate that got on the coin and corroded the surface. this cannot be fixed in any way and the coin is ruined and the numismatic value is gone to most collectors.    I cannot say what contaminate got on the coin, maybe someone sneezed on it, or coughed on it, contaminates can come from many sources; and it could have happened at the mint or after it was removed from the mint packaging. 

The 1984 proof looks to have been stored in a damp or excessively humid place, excellent photos but I cannot say for sure if the zinc core has been exposed and begun the process of zinc rot or if that is just some active verdigris.   Either way I would not want to store any of these coins with any coins that you want to stay in nice condition.    All three are sutible for placing into an album or folder, but none have any collector value 

Thanks all,

Of the 55 I purchased (about 3 cents each), about 20 are in great shape.  Several are 'toned' and most of those are about 50+ years old.  In that pile is a 1956 and a 1958 that looks like they have been well cared for.  In all, 15 are wheat pennies, but most are from the 1960s and 70's.   

You guys are always helpful.  Thanks.

Chris

I have some that I picked up in antique stores still in the mint case but the coins all have a ring from moisture getting to them. They were cheap and I like them so no harm .But they were never worth much and never will be.  

1971 Cam.jpg