• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do with an NGC slab with an error

5 posts in this topic

The other day I was lucky enough to buy my first Edward the Black Prince coin. It's slabbed as an MS63+. The slab mentions that it was minted in La Rochelle, France. The auction house and their expert claim however that the coin was minted in Bordeaux, France! And yes, when I look closely I can also see a B of Bordeaux and not an R of La Rochelle. In it's NGC slab / category it's a top pop coin but in reality it's not, because it's in the wrong category. Maybe I had paid less at auction if I had known...

I can return the coin to NGC but the problem is that it normally takes like 3 and sometimes 4 months before I have the coin back in my possession. I live in the Netherlands.

Does anybody have experience with this and what can you advise me to do?

Best regards,

Adriaan

Only a limited cohort of collectors would be able to advise you on a problem like this.  Those who live in the United States presumably submit their coins to NGC here. Those who, like you, live abroad, would submit their coins to NGC's European office. Each would know the turn-around times of their respective submission sites. I don't know that anyone can advise how to expedite the process, absent exigent circumstances. I am truly sorry to hear about your dilemma. Hopefully, a member reading this will be able to offer some helpful advice.

Hi Quintus, hi Coinbuf,

Thank you for your answers / advice. I will contact NGC customer service and explain what's up. Like you guys say, I'll have to send the coin back to NGC together with the certificate of the French expert and the documentation of the auction house. Hopefully they can give my case priority. Like I said, last time my coins were gone for almost 4 months. There is only one NGC office in the Netherlands. There they send the coins to Munic, Germany, and then they fly to the States. This is for import / export tax reasons. The travel plan and time wasted at customs is the reason it can take up to like 4 months before your (slabbed) coins are returned. It cost me like $180 to have 3 coins graded / slabbed. Many European collectors don't want to go through the hassle and/or think it's too expensive. I like my most expensive coins in protective slabs.

On 10/19/2022 at 3:24 PM, Anomander_Rake said:

Hi Quintus, hi Coinbuf,

Thank you for your answers / advice. I will contact NGC customer service and explain what's up. Like you guys say, I'll have to send the coin back to NGC together with the certificate of the French expert and the documentation of the auction house. Hopefully they can give my case priority. Like I said, last time my coins were gone for almost 4 months. There is only one NGC office in the Netherlands. There they send the coins to Munic, Germany, and then they fly to the States. This is for import / export tax reasons. The travel plan and time wasted at customs is the reason it can take up to like 4 months before your (slabbed) coins are returned. It cost me like $180 to have 3 coins graded / slabbed. Many European collectors don't want to go through the hassle and/or think it's too expensive. I like my most expensive coins in protective slabs.

Me? I’d get it to London, in my hand.