• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minted Hong Kong / Chinese 1996.2 Coin - unable to find value/rarity

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

First post so let's go easy on me. Basically, I've recently been reunited with some coins my grandparents gave me while I was growing up. 

There's only one I have not been able to find any trace of on the internet. 

My grandpa did a lot of international travel so I have no idea where or how he came across this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

16658495642587011335530611239549.jpg

16658495983835108310345225427175.jpg

Well, we can read it is a privately issued medal. I don’t own THIS one, but I do own literally hundreds of others. 

Edited by VKurtB

There's no reason anyone would be rough on you. You included good photos of both sides, told us what you knew, and asked a question. Rough is reserved for persons_of_minimal_evident_cognitive_capacity. Or for those who just want us to confirm their preconceived notions, and thus get mad when we tell them their coin got that way in a parking lot and is worth face value.

That last is something this lacks, because strictly speaking, I think this is a token or medallion rather than a coin. (No one expects you to have known that because, frankly, it's an esoteric and fussy distinction.) I found one in a group of three on an auction site, the three supposedly valued at HK$1000-1500. I have my doubts. On the other hand, I didn't find it on Numista. Maybe it's rare. The venue was renovated in 1996 so that's probably the reason for the issue. Given the scarcity of references, it is probably a very limited issue (maybe hundreds, maybe thousands) but with limited demand in English-language sources that I can search. Given the number of Hong Kong folks who have emigrated to western North America, I wouldn't die of shock to see one turn up here in Portland (Vancouver BC more probably), but there aren't that many.

On 10/15/2022 at 9:21 AM, JKK said:

There's no reason anyone would be rough on you. You included good photos of both sides, told us what you knew, and asked a question. Rough is reserved for persons_of_minimal_evident_cognitive_capacity. Or for those who just want us to confirm their preconceived notions, and thus get mad when we tell them their coin got that way in a parking lot and is worth face value.

That last is something this lacks, because strictly speaking, I think this is a token or medallion rather than a coin. (No one expects you to have known that because, frankly, it's an esoteric and fussy distinction.) I found one in a group of three on an auction site, the three supposedly valued at HK$1000-1500. I have my doubts. On the other hand, I didn't find it on Numista. Maybe it's rare. The venue was renovated in 1996 so that's probably the reason for the issue. Given the scarcity of references, it is probably a very limited issue (maybe hundreds, maybe thousands) but with limited demand in English-language sources that I can search. Given the number of Hong Kong folks who have emigrated to western North America, I wouldn't die of shock to see one turn up here in Portland (Vancouver BC more probably), but there aren't that many.

I appreciate the gold mine of info! My grandpa always enjoyed collecting things. Also, thank you for clarifying it as a medallion/token. Makes sense since I couldn't translate any denomination from the text.