• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 Great Britain Farthing variants

2 posts in this topic

Hey there, I've recently returned to coin collecting after a 14 year break. I'm very familiar with CGC's approach to labelling trading card variations, but I'm wondering if NGC does the same for coins?

I notice on your census for the 1953 Great Britain farthing you have a single entry for 1953 (split into various conditions). For the 1953 farthing, however, there are several well-documented variations which exist and have been documented for many decades.

Commonly referred to as 1+A, 1+B, 2+A and 2+B, on the obverse the cross at the top either points to a bead (1) or a gap between beads (2), and for the reverse the 'F' and the 'I' in 'FARTHING' either points to a gap between beads (A) or to a bead (B):

d8kHbex.jpg

• 1 + A (+ to bead, 'F' and 'I' to gap)
  • 1 + B (+ to bead, 'F' and 'I' to bead)
  • 2 + A (+ to gap, 'F' and 'I' to gap)
  • 2 + B (+ to gap, 'F' and 'I' to bead)

All 4 variants were circulated, with 2 + B being the most common and 2 + A being the most difficult to find.

The 2 + A and 2 + B variants are known to come from regular 1953 proof sets (with 2 + B again being a lot more common), whilst the 1 + A variant is known to come from 1953 VIP proof sets.

A new variant was also discovered last year which also appears in some 1953 VIP proof sets which has the regular 2 obverse, but has the 'F' pointing to a gap and the 'I' pointing to a bead.

I have a set of the circulation coins as well as the 2 + A and 2 + B proofs which I'd like to send in for grading, but before I do I'm curious to know whether NGC would differentiate between the types rather than categorising them all under the same 1953 umbrella?

• Administrator

Hello,

Unfortunately, NGC is not able to recognize all varieties from every country. There are simply too many to do. This would definitely fall into the too minor to recognize camp. 

Paul