• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Hebrides 1982 5 Francs, Unappreciated Rare Currency Coin
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have been interested in coins of the Caribbean and Oceanic British colonies (second to Brit coins) for some while. New Hebrides was an interesting joint colony that GB shared with France that has been called a consortium. There was a drive for greater autonomy and the country took on some semblance of it, renaming it Vanuatu.

Through 1980 coins were issued in the Franc denominations - the overseas variety worth at the time far less than French francs - but there was a perceived shortfall in circulating coinage and so the French mint was contacted to reissue coins with the old New Hebrides moniker for 1982. Although struck, evidently a great portion were never actually issued and few circulated specimens are known.

The denominations? 1f, 2f, 5f, and the very rare 10f and 20f. Most have not seen either of the latter and the one 1982 20f that I have seen internet pictures of looks to have spent time being run over by street traffic for a while. Anyway, some while ago I got the 1982 1f piece and then the 1982 5f which was slabbed ATS; in hand the luster is superb and pictures don't really capture it. Post to follow.

Nobody has ventured estimates. I would say the 1f is most common but still now seems to go for 2-300 USD. The 5f is probably next scarcest and goes for just a bit more - I would guess there are several hundred of the 1f coins and possibly 50-100 of the 5f.

The others, even the 2f are anybody's guess. The 2f might be less than 50; the 10f probable max 20 or so; the 20f probably 5-10 or so.

These are a bit like the Franklin Mint coins that were actually struck for circulation in the host countries in that very few are known and with the larger denominations that seem to have disappeared. Anybody's guess as to whether remainders were melted, thrown out, still remain on shelves somewhere in possession of central bank or just what happened to them being unclear. These, like the FM issues have very little face value nowadays and also very little intrinsic metal value (being nickel-brass in this case).

🐓:  VANUATU 🇻🇺 

Q.A.:  I wonder how they say that it French. 🤔 

🐓 :  VANUATU.

Q.A.:  Thanks, you've been very helpful.

It's a shame a coin has to appreciate in value before it can be appreciated.

There are many exceptionally rare coins in non-US series. However, collectors are of similar rarity, so the search is long and the cost in dollars is small. But the satisfaction can be great.