• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Authentic?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

If I may, I should like to "cut to the chase" here. You are basically asking a live studio audience to level with you and tell you whether the coin you have posted is counterfeit, or not.  I get that.  However, just so that you know, while the Chat Board Guidelines do not expressly state so----and I know this would ultimately matter to me----it will greatly upset certain of our fellow members whose names we are forbidden from mentioning, to speak to the overarching unasked question, which is, "If you feel it is inauthentic, would you please be so kind as to tell me why?"  So per unwritten edict, I can state my opinion and volunteer I may not be qualified to render a verdict----despite ninety-nine (99) years of collector experience, in Ancients, for example, but I cannot and may not tell you why.

Now, I have a sneaking suspicion I might know who would know, Nick Vagi, the gentleman who could be seen rendering a quick on-site examination of Ancients at Rick's pawnshop of "PAWN STARS" fame in Las Vegas, as the Director of Ancients at NGC, but is it bad form to publicize this rather public fact, or bad form to do so?  I don't know.  However, I do know I would not be satisfied with a simple yes or no answer rendered by any viewer who just happens to be passing by, with or without the requisite experience for making such judgments [based solely on the photographic evidence presented]. You may, treat this as bad or unwelcome news from a mere messenger, as you wish.  I understand. 😉 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Quick, face-saving die polishing.

Well tbh it has excellent flow lines meaning it was struck while metal was flowing. It also has a die variation I have never seen, which goes two ways: one: why copy a coin unseen, pointing to authenticity; but also two: unseen dies - from Athens, impossibly rare and unlikely. The overall symmetry of the coin points to a fake because of the exact nature of the grooving, and the copper tone to the shine points to an even mixing of metal. However I would say fake: the coin ships from Jerusalem, and the seller doesn’t respond when I ask him about authenticity. Either he speaks no English, or it’s a fake and he doesn’t want to lie. The unmarried surface seems impossible for a b.c. era coin though, right?

I have a feeling that what we have here is a serial counterfeit operation seeking feedback. That's two that are so obvious it's like they are beta versions. I think we have helped them far too much already.

On 10/17/2022 at 10:08 AM, EarlyUS.com said:

Is there a seam around the edge?

If there is a more cringe-worthy, evidently after-the-fact question any member can ask another on this Forum, it's a query regarding the edge... 

Bear in mind, the OP has already acquired the coin from an unresponsive source from a region boasting a history going back millennia.

In view of other comments made, this is: too little, too late. IMHO.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Light die polishing: colon added.