• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s Your Recollection?

7 posts in this topic

Subject: the “space flown” unauthorized real gold Sacagawea’s. 

I recall they were illegal and they were confiscated after having been flown on a Shuttle spacecraft. But what was their disposition? My faint recollection is that they are in a case at Fort Knox, along with the 10 Langbord coins now. Anyone else recall anything about their ultimate fate?

Edited by VKurtB

Interesting. Clearly the Mint needed Congressional authority to mint them as .900 or .9617 gold, and they never got it. Under current understanding, .999 would have been okay if they were marked with Troy metal weight. Just a denomination requires Congress. Milwaukee 2007 is the most recent ANA show I have NOT attended, other than the COVID canceled ones. 

Edited by VKurtB

@VKurtB:

To this day, owing primarily to a generational difference, I reach for my file cabinet which doubles as a newspaper's morgue.  And if the information sought is not there, I go to Plan B, which will require a trek to the appropriate repository of information.

It would not occur to me that the information may well be "at hand," accessible via the internet.

My thanks to you for bringing this little-known episode to my attention, and member AdamWL, for providing the answer.

Man, I love this place!