• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade of Morgan

6 posts in this topic

The attached 1892-CC Morgan was listed by a dealer as XF grade, but I'm not buying it. A little too much wear of the hair on the money side (all lines not defined) and a little too much wear of the eagle's upper wing areas and head. Maybe VF-25 or VF-30. Thoughts?

1892-CC Morgan Dollar VF.jpg

On 10/7/2022 at 2:03 PM, EagleRJO said:

The attached 1892-CC Morgan was listed by a dealer as XF grade, but I'm not buying it. A little too much wear of the hair on the money side (all lines not defined) and a little too much wear of the eagle's upper wing areas and head. Maybe VF-25 or VF-30. Thoughts?

1892-CC Morgan Dollar VF.jpg

I am limited to a very small phone right now and magnifying is limited but I think you might be just a little severe on this one. I’m more in the 30-35 range. But 30 is in both our ranges. 

It looks funny. The way the rim dental is worn flat but the tops of the letters are not worn? Other than the odd wear points a 30 - 35

Edited by J P M

I could go with VF-30, but not XF. I see some wear of the rim dentils, particularly on the obv near the bottom, but it doesn't look flat.  Which areas are you referring to JP?

On 10/7/2022 at 3:41 PM, EagleRJO said:

I could go with VF-30, but not XF. I see some wear of the rim dentils, particularly on the obv near the bottom, but it doesn't look flat.  Which areas are you referring to JP?

I was looking at the bonnet and rim by UNIM you would think the letters would be worn also but hey look hardly touched. I almost never see the eyebrow worn like that. It is almost like someone took a belt sander to both sides or it got kicked around the dance floor back in the 20's and 30's....LOL... but it is a 92 CC so if you get it at a good price then it will be cool.

Thanks, some of the toned circulated Morgans do get a little bit of that "belt-sander" look with the high rims and very pronounced high points at the cap and hair on the obv as well as the eagle's breast and head on the rev, particularly the breast. Looks like a decent circulated coin on the surface that may be a VAM-1 normal die, but I have to do a little more digging now and then see if I might be able to pick it up for a reasonable price.Coin Grading - Morgan-Dollar High Points.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO