• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Condor Token ID
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Here is a 1793 North Wales Halfpenny Token. From what I have researched it’s a DH1b. Saw it on a dealers website as a DH4a. It measures 29mm, has 29 acorns (16 right & 13 left) and edge marked “Payable in London Bristol & Lancaster -x-“. Also, is it worth getting it graded? Thx in advance for any help!

51AEDB1D-5258-46FB-BEDA-A73CD95A828D.jpeg

3D3A95AB-5199-4505-A7A7-F800DB407FF8.jpeg

If what you have is worth having authenticated and certified, by all means do so.  It will save you from having to explain (and justify) what you have to others later on.

Bear in mind, economic feasibility does not always figure into the "to encapsulate, or not" decision.  Some collectors like their coins so much they would prefer to have them formally identified and protected from any harm that may occur in storage by having them housed in protective holders.  Whether it is worth getting graded, aside from how you feel about the coin, will ultimately rest on its value.  I have seen a range of figures given for grading costs. My best estimate is, up to USD100, depending on where you live and are submitting from.

According to my copy of Dalton & Hamer, 1b appears correct. On 4a, the bottom of the quatrefoil on the reverse extends below the tops of the "7" and "9" of the date, and the two acorns to the right of the bust on the obverse are above the sprig, rather than below it, as in your picture. On DH2, the vertical stroke of the "R" extends below the "7" in the date, and DH3 has the same acorn placement as DH4. I believe your attribution is dead on.

There are two or three collectors on this forum who are much more knowledgeable than I about these tokens. @Conder101 is the preeminent expert in this series on this forum, @Yarm is another. Neither posts very often, but maybe one will see this tag and confirm your diagnosis.

Edited by Just Bob
Found a mistake

@Just Bob;

Ricky (🐓) and I have taken the liberty of perusing some 15 pages of text in a futile attempt to locate member @Yarm.  Neither hair nor hide has been seen of him since the last Ice Age.  Are you spelling his name correctly?  The search option "attribution" and his User Name, turn up nothing.

@Just Bob: Hopefully, a member proficient in classification schemes will be able to assist this gentleman.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Routine die polishing.

On 10/2/2022 at 12:37 PM, Just Bob said:

Yarm was online as recently as Sept 23 of this year.

Yes, and apparently spoke up in 2021 and 2020.  It is a shame I have been around as long as I have and still don't know how to navigate the Forum well.  I stand corrected! 

On 10/3/2022 at 9:46 PM, Yarm said:

I'm not going to be of any help on that North Wales piece. 

A suggestion has been made to try the on-line resource:  "Ask NGC/NCS."

I have reached out to member @Yarm and hopefully, we will be hearing from him soon.

On 10/4/2022 at 3:04 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

A suggestion has been made to try the on-line resource:  "Ask NGC/NCS."

I have reached out to member @Yarm and hopefully, we will be hearing from him soon.

Great God Almighty!  A member anticipated my call, and responded!

Man, I love this place!

WELCOME, er, BACK TO THE FORUM!

On 10/3/2022 at 8:46 PM, Yarm said:

I'm not going to be of any help on that North Wales piece. 

My mistake. I apologize for putting you on the spot.

ALL-POINTS BULLETIN!   BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR:  A 1793 NORTH WALES HALFPENNY TOKEN:

UPDATE...

IN CUSTODY PRESENTLY;  UNCOOPERATIVE.

UNCERTAIN AS TO WHETHER IT EXHIBITS "DH1b"  OR  "DH4a"  Variety  Characteristic 

Kindly direct any information to the OP, after reading his first post on this thread.

Much obliged.   🐓