• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what caused this error on this 1991
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Posting the same damaged coin in multiple sections of the forum is not going to yield a different result, it is just a damaged coin worth 25 cents to anyone that will take it.

BTY as you are new to collecting but are a self-professed expert in striking errors why do you need any feedback here?

Edited by Coinbuf

BTW I wanted to find if receiving the correct info. How am I supposed to learn from people who don't know exactly what they reply. Or possibly you know exactly what certain coins are but you'd rather not be as helpful to beginners as you imply. just researching which one are truly helpful or just enjoy being sarcastic . I've gotten that quite a bit for trying to gain knowledge. 

On 9/27/2022 at 11:51 AM, Coinbuf said:

Posting the same damaged coin in multiple sections of the forum is not going to yield a different result, it is just a damaged coin worth 25 cents to anyone that will take it.

It was suggested by a member in another thread, where this coin was posted later on, that a new thread be started for each coin, so I have to give them that.

So when you claim to know what your talking about, why don't give an explanation. That would helpful to newcomers don't you think? I've read many posts from newbies that get a sarcastic reply. if you can't be a grown man without your unwanted sarcasm. So many of you out there that seem to be waiting for newcomer to come along just to play along with the other boys. I'll fingld a group that's willing to be helpful without the BS.

And who is not going to be some sarcastic . There's no need for all that btw. where are grown ups aren't we. Or is that your way making yourself feel I don't adequate? I don't know the reasons so many can't be nice and actually help others gain as much knowledge as possible.

On 9/27/2022 at 2:43 PM, schism said:

Actually it's on sale on ebay by a well known seller.

On 9/27/2022 at 2:44 PM, schism said:

so apparently it's been authenticated. 

Ebay is the worst place to go for information as there are all kinds of garbage, counterfeit and damaged coins being falsely sold as genuine or valuable errors coins, as well as the more insidious ones with common strike doubling being regularly sold as more valuable die doubling. The site is full of coins that are overpriced, impaired, damaged, counterfeit or falsely misrepresented as being more valuable than they are with sellers just waiting for a sucker to come along and buy the coin. And unless it's in a known grading companies' holder (e.g. NGC or PCGS) it has NOT been authenticated.

There are some very unscrupulous people on eBay that go as far as creating multiple accounts and constantly selling lower value items between the accounts to generate volumes of positive reviews to then hold themselves out as "reputable" sellers. If you are relying on what eBay sellers are saying it is only a matter of time before you get ripped off, if that hasn't already happened.

On 9/27/2022 at 3:06 PM, schism said:

Anyhow, I've learned where not to come for knowledge.

You have been given some very good advice and references where you can start increasing your knowledge in multiple threads by multiple people who have quite a lot of experience. If you don't agree with them and would rather believe what sellers on eBay trying to rip you off are saying fine, spend your money however you wish and move on to another forum.

But berating people who are just trying to help is not going to change the cold hard facts about the coins you have been posting and is just going to end up with very experienced collectors not even bothering to read your questions, let alone actually take the time to try and help you.

Edited by EagleRJO

@schism--Please see my response of today on your posting regarding a 1996-P quarter for references to websites and publications from which you may gain the knowledge I presume that you're seeking.  I've been a collector for over fifty years and agree that all of the coins you've posted are either severely damaged and/or struck from worn dies, not numismatically desirable or valuable errors or varieties.  It's not possible to explain "why" to someone who lacks basic knowledge without providing a very lengthy explanation, as well as showing many coins exhibiting known error characteristics.  We're volunteers who are taking the time to help you, which you should appreciate.  This will be my last effort to do so.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:57 AM, schism said:

And Mr coinbuf, not once did I claim to be something I'm not. where did you get that idea. Don't be upset. I'm trying to find who is going to be helpful.

From here, "does the mint inspect every single coin individually? No they don't. research it and you will find that they dont. it's a planchet error".   You made this statement on your other thread, this is not phrased as an opinion or question but as a statement of fact.   This does not make me upset, I'm always eager to learn from experts that know more than I do about how the mint operates and the minting process.   Perhaps I misinterpreted your comment and you do not know as much as I assumed?   Now you are correct that the mint does not inspect every coin before it leaves the mint, however even with the poor quality that the mint produces it does not send out damaged coins with obvious circulation wear.

Why do you feel entitled to an explanation for these coins?   Other than Mr. Lange who does work for NGC everyone else, including myself, are just volunteering our time and years of expertise in coins for free.   We are not being paid to answer questions on this forum we just do it to be helpful and pay it forward, so spending hours typing out lengthy replies to obvious answers is a waste of our time.   We see requests like yours several times a week if not daily, I can only speak for myself but I don't have that much free time on my hands.

You asked about three coins, all of which are obviously damaged, and you got multiple replies that all agree with that opinion, nobody here has been in possession of any of those coins, including yourself, so there is no way that anyone here can say for certain how those three coins became damaged.   There are an infinite number of ways to damage a coin while in circulation but only a handful of ways a coin is damaged at the time it is struck at the mint.

We have all tried to help you but you have chosen to become combative and argue with everyone, when that happens you lose respect.