• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[Numismatic-related] Rants!
1 1

2 posts in this topic

That now week-old item regarding the Philadelphia mint's suspension of production of 2022 Kennedy half dollars has finally gotten my goat!  Who are they fooling?  When's the last time anyone has gotten one of these coins in change? If they're only going to mint less than a dozen million to begin with--there being well over 300 million people in this country--what's the point?

On 9/18/2022 at 9:53 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

That now week-old item regarding the Philadelphia mint's suspension of production of 2022 Kennedy half dollars has finally gotten my goat!  Who are they fooling?  When's the last time anyone has gotten one of these coins in change? If they're only going to mint less than a dozen million to begin with--there being well over 300 million people in this country--what's the point?

When I lived in Lancaster County, PA, as recently as autumn of 2017, there was a small local chain of grocery stores known as Weaver’s. One was located a literal stone’s throw from Renninger’s Antique Flea Market AND Morphy Auctions (briefly the partners of Laura Sperber). Weaver’s ALWAYS gave half dollars in change, if the total to the right of the decimal point was <.51. I acquired at least a roll per year  from Weaver’s. I just checked with my cousin and they still do circulate half dollars. 

So to answer your question, it was just under five years ago, but it still goes on. 

Edited by VKurtB