• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really Old U.S Proof Sets
1 1

41 posts in this topic

:signofftopic:   The one and only set of special postage stamps I ever purchased at a post office came in sealed envelopes (you could not view the stamps prior to sale) and I knew why.  They were the "Inverted Jennies," originally released in 1918.  In a creative twist, the U.S.P.S. reproduced them in 2019, error intact, but within the limited run were similarly sealed envelopes, released at random, with the featured inverted air mail plane printed right side-up--and it was those issues, unlike the earlier  ones, which were more valuable.  I would guess the post office sealed the envelopes to discourage rummaging.

[Would I have purchased a sealed box or envelope of coins from a coin dealer? To be honest, yes.  Why?  Because to insist otherwise would be akin to impugning the character and good name of a reputable dealer. Suppose he were to turn the tables on me and say, "If I open it, I can't sell it!"  Then what?  Ol' Q is not the confrontational type. Just ask Moderation.  :roflmao:

On 12/10/2022 at 11:42 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Note:  Up a few posts on this thread, member VKurtB has posted an exterior of a 1951 box with the same penciled marking that were present on mine for 1952 and 1954.

The 1955 proof set contains five different coins, and three of them are 90% silver. The coins include: the penny, nickel, silver dime, silver quarter, and silver half dollar. When distributed, this set either came in a box pack or a flat pack. Sets with the flat pack packaging are more valuable.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:30 PM, rrantique said:

The 1955 proof set contains five different coins, and three of them are 90% silver. The coins include: the penny, nickel, silver dime, silver quarter, and silver half dollar. When distributed, this set either came in a box pack or a flat pack. Sets with the flat pack packaging are more valuable.

Is that a matter of rarity or something else? The flat pack, IF UNDAMAGED, does make it easier to keep the coins nice. But a pinhole in the plastic can lead to dark spots. 

On 12/16/2022 at 9:51 PM, VKurtB said:

....But a pinhole in the plastic can lead to dark spots. 

What used to be called carbon spots?

On 12/16/2022 at 8:54 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

What used to be called carbon spots?

Carbon, molybdenum, niobium, uranium. Who cares? To me, spots are spots and I don’t like ‘em. I got a nice cat with spots and he satisfies my spot quota just right. They don’t come off with a thiourea dip either. 

In all seriousness, what we call carbon spots are often really sulfur spots. Silver sulfide’s usual color is black. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/16/2022 at 8:51 PM, VKurtB said:

Is that a matter of rarity or something else? The flat pack, IF UNDAMAGED, does make it easier to keep the coins nice. But a pinhole in the plastic can lead to dark spots. 

I believe that flat packs in original condition can not be substituted  as coin in the boxes were individually packaged and could be substituted .

On 12/16/2022 at 9:02 PM, rrantique said:

I believe that flat packs in original condition can not be substituted  as coin in the boxes were individually packaged and could be substituted .

Good point. Does that translate to a lower price? Just because one or more of the “kids” may have been “adopted”?

On 12/16/2022 at 8:58 PM, VKurtB said:

Carbon, molybdenum, niobium, uranium. Who cares? To me, spots are spots and I don’t like ‘em. I got a nice cat with spots and he satisfies my spot quota just right. They don’t come off with a thiourea dip either. 

In all seriousness, what we call carbon spots are often really sulfur spots. Silver sulfide’s usual color is black. 

I call them fly specks(shrug)

On 12/16/2022 at 9:04 PM, VKurtB said:

Good point. Does that translate to a lower price? Just because one or more of the “kids” may have been “adopted”?

Example lower quality coins could be swapped for high quality coins. Not saying I would do this just example of scruples .

On 12/16/2022 at 9:12 PM, rrantique said:

Example lower quality coins could be swapped for high quality coins. Not saying I would do this just example of scruples .

I’d do the opposite, for me to keep.