• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JP's Nickels
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I picked up a nice MS66+ 1949 S for the set . I was a bit shocked when I looked up the PCGS price difference between a 66 and a 66+ overkill I think. This coin has a nice tone some very cool die polishing lines and a possible RPM. 

1949 S +.jpg

1949 S reverse.jpg

S20220915_0004.jpg

Nice coin! I like the hint of toning.

On 9/15/2022 at 2:30 PM, J P M said:

I was a bit shocked when I looked up the PCGS price difference between a 66 and a 66+ overkill I think.

PCGS prices on their site are wacked out right now. They adjusted upwards significantly earlier this year after the serious price spike, and never adjusted them again when prices came back down to reality more recently. I guess they feel it may be going backwards or something.

I have been using the NGC values, even for PCGS slabs, which have been spot on lately as they are not so quick to make price changes and never adjusted upwards for the spike, so there is no adjustment downward needed. For coins I have been shopping for and tracking, the NGC values have been pretty much on the money with Great Collections, HA and eBay auction prices with a few exceptions for coins with a higher demand.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/15/2022 at 4:04 PM, Lem E said:

Nice low pop coin JP. It is quite a jump in price but when there aren’t that many examples, the price goes up. Nice score.

Thanks Lem, I got lucky again .Yes it is getting harder to find some of them and when I do they don't hang around to long.