• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry Pickers Post
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2022 at 11:33 PM, asdfgh said:

this is not a strike thru. the lines are grooves in the face of the die. sometimes called feed finger damage.

That's what feeder damage looks like , Thanks  asdfgh  I have heard of it but never looked into it. I will check it out now. (thumbsu 

Edited by J P M

On 9/16/2022 at 6:22 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

They look like die gouges to me as well.

I took a look at the feeder scratches and they are not quite as large as these groves. These are in the die for sure maybe just a extreme example.

On 9/16/2022 at 8:13 AM, J P M said:

I took a look at the feeder scratches and they are not quite as large as these groves. These are in the die for sure maybe just a extreme example.

Not all feeder finger scratches will look the same, depth, width and number can all vary. Could be that these were caused by something else as well, but feeder finger seems most likely. I don't remember if they were still using presses with the linear feeder or rotary at this time, or if the obv die was the anvil. U.S. coins and errors aren't really my thing. (thumbsu

On 9/16/2022 at 8:13 AM, J P M said:

Hey JP. Just my humble newbie input here and I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong....:facepalm:. Feeder finger damage typically creates scratches or noticeable gouges on the reverse die which typically get worse over time as the face of the anvil die is continually scratched by an improperly aligned/functioning feeder finger.  In 1992, the mint had not yet dedicated to inverting their dies (meaning the obverse die was the anvil die and the reverse die was the hammer die).  The mint eventually, for the most part, switched to inverted dies several years later as well as switching to the German made Schuler press. I am not quite sure exactly what a feed finger design and its nomenclature looked like on the Bliss press which I am fairly certain was used in 1992 to strike your coin.  I highly suspect the obverse/hammer die (regarding your coin) momentarily struck a malfunctioning feed finger stuck within the striking chamber while void of a planchet. This caused the damage to the obverse die that was in turn transferred to your coin and all other ensuing coins struck from the same damaged obverse die. There's no doubt the series of raised lines on your coin was caused by die damage.  It think is a very cool example though and I like it! 👍 

Edited by GBrad

On 9/18/2022 at 1:54 AM, GBrad said:

Hey JP. Just my humble newbie input here and I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong....:facepalm:. Feeder finger damage typically creates scratches or noticeable gouges on the reverse die which typically get worse over time as the face of the anvil die is continually scratched by an improperly aligned/functioning feeder finger.  In 1992, the mint had not yet dedicated to inverting their dies (meaning the obverse die was the anvil die and the reverse die was the hammer die).  The mint eventually, for the most part, switched to inverted dies several years later as well as switching to the German made Schuler press. I am not quite sure exactly what a feed finger design and its nomenclature looked like on the Bliss press which I am fairly certain was used in 1992 to strike your coin.  I highly suspect the obverse/hammer die (regarding your coin) momentarily struck a malfunctioning feed finger stuck within the striking chamber while void of a planchet. This caused the damage to the obverse die that was in turn transferred to your coin and all other ensuing coins struck from the same damaged obverse die. There's no doubt the series of raised lines on your coin was caused by die damage.  It think is a very cool example though and I like it! 👍 

Thanks for the nice info Brad, I tagged it as a die clash feeder finger and put it in the Odd & error tin box (thumbsu 

Odd & Error.jpg

Edited by J P M